Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to buy another Soobie but a WRX

I have owned several subaru wagons, and have always been a loyal owner. But now I am looking for a nice upgrade, and am thinking about the WRX STI. But I really have no idea what things to look for. Is this car plagued by any problems such as the SVX's are or the 96-99 wagons?

IIRC, the Impreza WRX was available in the USA starting 2001 as a 2002 model available as a sedan or wagon. The Impreza WRX-STI was introduced later and is only a sedan. With that in mind, most of these cars on the used market have lived hard lives because they typically end up in the hands of a lead foot. (In the same lines as seeing so many used Ford Mustang V-8s engines and various body parts available...many leave the road at high rates of speed.) If you want a WRX wagon, nice used ones are available, but you really need to know the person you're buying from, or go over it in great detail.

Also, the guys at www.nasioc.com can help you out.

I have owned several subaru wagons, and have always been a loyal owner. But now I am looking for a nice upgrade, and am thinking about the WRX STI. But I really have no idea what things to look for. Is this car plagued by any problems such as the SVX's are or the 96-99 wagons?

Are you buying used or new?

As said, any car perceived as a 'sports car' that is on the used car market has a higher chance of being abused. And the STi is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of other cars with similar performance - so it sometimes gets purchased by daddy for junior to tear around town in. Thsoe would be the cars to avoid. While I or you may enjoy the car's performance aspects, we are also more likely to understand about proper maintanance and are not lilely to engage in 5K clutch drops and 4 wheel burnouts, etc.

I think it IS possible to get used sports cars that are in good condition - you just need to be more diligent.

As for new, go and test drive the WRX sedan, wagon and the WRX STI and see what you like. I love my '06 WRX wagon. It's more car than I am driver and I really just didn't need the higher insurance and 'attention' that the STI would bring.

here's me at the track in my ride;

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/medium/3142plateless.JPG

I was passing a mini cooper s, Porshce Boxter, miata, audi and infiniti - but was passed by all the other soobs and the Z06 and a GTI - depends on the driver's skill and waht mods you have on the car. I was running stock suspension and drivetrain and was a total noob. Still, most fun I had in decades!

The STI is a LOT of car for the money and I'm sure you will enjoy it. But don't discount getting a WRX and spending a little to 'personalize' it with the savings in price.

Carl

Once again, I am with Texan :D

The WRX is plenty car for the money. The STi does offer some added STimulation on tracks if you are brave enough, and the extra 50hp is useful for traffic light Grands Prix.

Back in the normal day-to-day real world, a WRX will cost less to fuel, insure, and draw less unwanted attention. Yet you'll be having just as much fun!