Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 rear Spring upgrade ???'s

Alright I got my 89 Accord Front springs, and a new set of rear strut cartridges. I searched the board looking for pictures of the conversion and could only find dead links and full car pics. I'm wondering about the bottom of the springs. I remember seeing somewhere that a member had to cut a notch in the spring seat so the spring would sit flat. Anyone have a picture of that? or can fill me in on what needs to be done?

Also, anyone have a napa/carquest/Shucks M&0 part number for the top cap/bushings kits for the rear struts?

thx in advance

I don't know what others have done, but my Accord springs went right on with no other modifications. I set my adjustable struts to the middle position, which should be about the same as the non-adjustable struts, and they've been working fine for close to 10,000 miles.

My Accord Front Springs Came with both ends Flat. Maybe try another year model... Mines where in a `92.

In Front, I put it on a Ford Tempo Front Springs. They got exactly the same turns and thick of the Original Subie ones, but also they got two aditional turns with a +/- 1.5 MM less thicker material... This "Extra" part, is designed to Add more "Confort" to the normal ride, absorbing better the small movements of a good road...

Also I installed along with them (I mean in Front) a "Donut" You Know...

Good Luck!:)

so what would i use to bring it up about 3 inches in the front and back with out having to to do a lift? although i do want to do that down the road to.

a lift:grin:

really you dont want to use springs alone to lift it 3". your C/V joints are already stressed.

I did the original honda spring swap and it bolted right in for me no mods needed. I have since tried a few other rear suspension setups and have still not found what I really want.

The honda springs are great if you carry a heavy load around often. the car will ride stiffer and sit higher. that will alter your handling/comfort slightly.

my car gets worked hard and needs a real high end suspension for me to be happy. I am waiting to do the 5 lug swap and suspension all at one time someday. hard to do when you have too many toys that all want attention.

a lift:grin:

really you dont want to use springs alone to lift it 3". your C/V joints are already stressed.

I did the original honda spring swap and it bolted right in for me no mods needed. I have since tried a few other rear suspension setups and have still not found what I really want.

The honda springs are great if you carry a heavy load around often. the car will ride stiffer and sit higher. that will alter your handling/comfort slightly.

my car gets worked hard and needs a real high end suspension for me to be happy. I am waiting to do the 5 lug swap and suspension all at one time someday. hard to do when you have too many toys that all want attention.

thanks for the info. from what i seen write else where i have a few options to go with. mainly what i an looking for is greond clearnce. i do a lot trail making or driving down trails that you shouldn't drive a cars on because they are atv trails. they just hate it when they come flying down the trail find my wagon sitting taking up the hole trail or come a roubd the coener and here i am coming at them. anyway there were a couple spots were if i only a couple inches of height i wouldn't scrape. but thanks for answering

if you do this please cut about 1.5'' off the spring, if you're not hauling alot of tools around. sure its nice to have a slight lift, but as you will find, the springs will max out the strut and the strut will be at full extension all the time, except when you go over a bump. i didnt cut my springs and it damn near killed my neck. it was easier to get the rear end out on turns, but beyond that it sucked a$$. after the 5 lug and accord rear springs w/ new struts, and used 02' wrx strut/spring combo up front it does pretty good. except for the 2.5* of positive camber i have...but that will be fixed with a 3/4'' mini-wanna-be-lift in betwen the crossmember and unibody. please, please, please, cut your springs. i had to take them off a second time and do it right. right now after its all done, the back is about 1.5'' higher than the front. you WILL hurt your rear CV's if you dont cut springs, i noticed a slightly worn/polished area on my rear CV"s when i rebuilt them while doing the 5 lug swap.

~Josh~

Cutting springs is dangerous from what I've been told. What did you use to cut the springs?

I want the rear of my car stiff. It will help keep all 4 tires on the ground where they like to do the 3 wheel nose stand. It should also get rid of the nasty body roll in corners.

funny story about doing the swap. brought them to my local junkyard and paid them to compress the springs. They put the top caps and mounting bracket on sideway, they didnt seat one of the springs all the way, so the spring had a bow in it, and I think it bent the one strut. I asked them to fix it and the guy took the springs back off and gave me the parts back and didnt charge me. I called another shop and they said 50 bucks to do it. Too much????