Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIE vacuum hoses!

what are some hoses I can get away with eliminating all together and still have engine run.my 84 brat 1800 is mostly for trail riding and we don't have emmision testing.so what are the hoses/components that I can elinate and plug up the holes?My 1990 saab fuel injected monster has far less hoses and vacuum lines under the hood,what gives.I thought a carbed four banger would have maybe two-3 vacuum hoes and related stuff.My dad's twin 454 chevy(carbed) has about 5 vacuum hoses(both) wearas subie as 5 billion and counting?

the hitachi carburetors (MOST) use many vacuum lines, diaphragms, solenoids, and ect. (say, my '88 hatch as an example) to get good emissions, ect. even had an ECU!

But, on your old vehicle, just swap for a weber. Or, if you REALLY want to keep a hitachi, then get one from a 4wd manual non-ca car.

There's really only the brake booster, the trans (if auto) the EGR, the disty, and one to the manifold. At least, when we got our rebuilt one put on, that's all I went for. I tuned it at 1 3/4" idle turns and 1 1/2 mixture turns. but it was an auto EA82. (ie:, idle speed and idle mixture, for reference.)

um could anyone show pics of the engine carpartment with all the hoses/componets I can remove.I pulled the carb thinking everything was stiff enough that it would be where it needed to be when I got it back together.I thought it would take an hour or two to find the problems I had been having and get it fixed.now that Im on day 4...BTW how do I get rid of the butterfly valve in the air cleaner inlet?I can't quite aford a weber right now so I ahve to make due with airbox.I removed the EGR and now the butterfly hang limp.Im worried about it closing when I step on the gas.Or should I glue it in the open position

Yes - do a search - I've personally covered this many times for people.

The short answer is you need to learn what the stuff does, and the pro's/con's of removing it first. KNOW how your engine works, and what all the little parts do, and you won't have to ask questions of a bunch of people who largely don't know either.

GD