Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIE vacuum hoses!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,426 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:07 AM

what are some hoses I can get away with eliminating all together and still have engine run.my 84 brat 1800 is mostly for trail riding and we don't have emmision testing.so what are the hoses/components that I can elinate and plug up the holes?My 1990 saab fuel injected monster has far less hoses and vacuum lines under the hood,what gives.I thought a carbed four banger would have maybe two-3 vacuum hoes and related stuff.My dad's twin 454 chevy(carbed) has about 5 vacuum hoses(both) wearas subie as 5 billion and counting?

#2 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

I wouldn't start just randomly pulling vacum houses, buddy of mine did that and then his car wouldnt even go into drive, turns out a 1/8 inch vacum house controlled all of that.

#3 twobirds

twobirds

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

i would also like to know if i can eliminate these hoses. Unforutunately I have been forced to pull my engine and I would rather not put all of these hoses back. (not that I haven't labeled them.)

#4 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,426 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

I have an 1800 carbed manual tranny.I dont need to worry about vacuum lines for tranny shifting
Id like to know now because I have the carb off right now and would rather not have to deal with those hoses anymore...

#5 habib99

habib99

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Wales UK

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:31 PM

I reckon you can get away with removing everything except the brake servo pipe. But wont it be hassle to block them all up properly?

#6 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:56 PM

the hitachi carburetors (MOST) use many vacuum lines, diaphragms, solenoids, and ect. (say, my '88 hatch as an example) to get good emissions, ect. even had an ECU!

But, on your old vehicle, just swap for a weber. Or, if you REALLY want to keep a hitachi, then get one from a 4wd manual non-ca car.

There's really only the brake booster, the trans (if auto) the EGR, the disty, and one to the manifold. At least, when we got our rebuilt one put on, that's all I went for. I tuned it at 1 3/4" idle turns and 1 1/2 mixture turns. but it was an auto EA82. (ie:, idle speed and idle mixture, for reference.)

#7 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,426 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

um could anyone show pics of the engine carpartment with all the hoses/componets I can remove.I pulled the carb thinking everything was stiff enough that it would be where it needed to be when I got it back together.I thought it would take an hour or two to find the problems I had been having and get it fixed.now that Im on day 4...BTW how do I get rid of the butterfly valve in the air cleaner inlet?I can't quite aford a weber right now so I ahve to make due with airbox.I removed the EGR and now the butterfly hang limp.Im worried about it closing when I step on the gas.Or should I glue it in the open position

#8 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:37 PM

the SEARCH is your friend!

http://www.ultimates...light=emissions

#9 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:01 AM

Yes - do a search - I've personally covered this many times for people.

The short answer is you need to learn what the stuff does, and the pro's/con's of removing it first. KNOW how your engine works, and what all the little parts do, and you won't have to ask questions of a bunch of people who largely don't know either.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users