Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Properly installing timing belts on EA82?

• 2 months later...

For those of us who happen to possess a perfectly ordinary belt tension guage but don't have access to your fancy schmancy spanner adapter for Subaru ea82 cam sprockets (part no 998374598734-a), if I have new belts AND a new head gasket, BELT TENSION should be in the 35-55 ft lb range. And if either of those things is other than new, BELT TENSION should be 24-46 ft lbs.

So far, so good.

But where should I measure the tension? Right next to the tensioner? On the other side? And for new belts, when should I measure? Should I turn the crank a few times first?

This is more than idle curiosity. After doing the full head gasket ordeal, I find the parts folks at Kragen have given me one correctly sized belt (#2), and something entirely different. Sooo.... I need specs and procedure for a half-assed job.

Help?

Kalo

try reading this, it describes the entire belt procedure, with pics

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm

the haynes book is not wrong, but the pic does not show the crank rotation

the idea is rotate the crank 360 degrees, so the cam turns 180. bitche d belt jobs either missed that step, or turned the first cam 360 deg