Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Properly installing timing belts on EA82?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 24 October 2003 - 12:10 PM

Well, I am just happy we cleared it up for him before he tried to drive away and have his belt fall off. :lol:

Boy, He'd have been mad as hell huh?

#27 XSNRG

XSNRG

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 24 October 2003 - 03:46 PM

I'm guessing he would take it out on you, I'm too far away:lol:

#28 NorseKode

NorseKode

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Northern California

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:03 AM

For those of us who happen to possess a perfectly ordinary belt tension guage but don't have access to your fancy schmancy spanner adapter for Subaru ea82 cam sprockets (part no 998374598734-a), if I have new belts AND a new head gasket, BELT TENSION should be in the 35-55 ft lb range. And if either of those things is other than new, BELT TENSION should be 24-46 ft lbs.
So far, so good.
But where should I measure the tension? Right next to the tensioner? On the other side? And for new belts, when should I measure? Should I turn the crank a few times first?

This is more than idle curiosity. After doing the full head gasket ordeal, I find the parts folks at Kragen have given me one correctly sized belt (#2), and something entirely different. Sooo.... I need specs and procedure for a half-assed job.

Help?

Kalo

#29 CIS Subaru

CIS Subaru

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 1,992 posts
  • Columbus, OH

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:05 AM

I just wanted to second the fact that the timing belt idler pulley bearing is a standard bearing so it is readily available. I got mine at NAPA.

#30 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,351 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:52 AM

try reading this, it describes the entire belt procedure, with pics
http://www.warpthree.../timingbelt.htm

the haynes book is not wrong, but the pic does not show the crank rotation

the idea is rotate the crank 360 degrees, so the cam turns 180. bitche d belt jobs either missed that step, or turned the first cam 360 deg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users