Ultimate Subaru Message Board

twin 4x4 stick/lever setup...

scrap487

i agree with you there scrap, i actually auto cross my car. i would like to have the second lever just so i don't bog so much when i'm out the course, i think i'm the only one that actually has to use first gear to go round corners.

one question though, where would the second stick go?

Does anyone have a tranny pic?

I only remember one rod going into the tranny from the 4wd selector lever?

:confused:

I assume it's the same on EA81s as EA82s....

the linkage between the 4WD and the reduction gear is actually on the outside of the tranny....circled in pink here (sorry, I reused an old pic, so ignore the red circle):

3242PICT1930.jpg

it has an adjustment nut on it, and I've thought about disconnecting it, and welding a second lever onto it, so they activate independantly.

That's how I remember it, which brings up the question in my mind...

How does one make two levers do independent things off one linkage rod?

By pushing the linkage one step forward, doesn't it click the tranny into 4wd and high range?

One more step forward 4wd and low range?

I don't understand how you would split this out.

That's how I remember it, which brings up the question in my mind...

How does one make two levers do independent things off one linkage rod?

By pushing the linkage one step forward, doesn't it click the tranny into 4wd and high range?

One more step forward 4wd and low range?

I don't understand how you would split this out.

ok, as you notice, the linkage goes into the transmission in 2 differant places, goes into a box at the rear, and then comes out and goes to the front of the transmission. engaging 4wd and hi/lo are completely differant actions, 4wd is engaged at the rear of the transmission, while the hi/lo reduction happens at the front of the tranny. all you have to do is disconnect the rod that goes to the front from where it comes out in back and fab up a seperate lever for hi/lo

sounds good. id like to do that. it would be nice to have 2wd lowrange. has anybody done it? it sounds pretty simple.

figuring out how to do the linkages is pretty tough, especially for my lifted rig, I dont think anyone has done it.

ok, as you notice, the linkage goes into the transmission in 2 differant places, goes into a box at the rear, and then comes out and goes to the front of the transmission. engaging 4wd and hi/lo are completely differant actions, 4wd is engaged at the rear of the transmission, while the hi/lo reduction happens at the front of the tranny. all you have to do is disconnect the rod that goes to the front from where it comes out in back and fab up a seperate lever for hi/lo

I never noticed that? I was thinking it just went into the front of the tranny.

Now I unner-stan!

I just may do that as I don't have the same linkage restrictions you folks have.:grin:

I never noticed that? I was thinking it just went into the front of the tranny.

Now I unner-stan!

I just may do that as I don't have the same linkage restrictions you folks have.:grin:

please do and then take pictures :-)

I tried pavementsucks.com but couldnt find it.Found some stuff on donating money but no cool sticker.

hmmm...well, I know they shut down their online store awhile ago. maybe the stickers went with it :confused: that's where I got mine.

you could pm McBrat. I bet he could make you one

• 1 year later...

I have an '83 GL 4X4 Wagon with 4-speed D/R and the single stick that activates FWD/4HI/4LOW. I assume that's typical.

The wrecker has a newer than mine Subaru in the back of the yard that has a 5-speed. I don't know the year but I'd guess late 80's early 90's. The five speed in it has the push-button 4x4 actuator in the center of the shifter knob. Do any of those have D/R? Would this linkage in the photo someone posted circled in pink also be there for the push-button?

I would like to install a 5-speed into '83 but I can't sacrifice D/R to do it. I basically need to know how to identify a push-button dual range.

Is it possible the 5-speed would have different axle gear ratios and if so would I have to aquire the rear diff from the 5-speed car if the 5-speed passes D/R criteria?

I'm about to change front cv axles so this would also be the time to put in a 5-speed if I'm gonna do it.

I would like to install a 5-speed into '83 but I can't sacrifice D/R to do it. I basically need to know how to identify a push-button dual range.

easy, there aren't any. All the pushbutton ones are S/R.

However Milemaker and I have gone at least part way towards making one.

You would have to have a 5spd D/R and the shift linkage for it.

You would also need the 4wd selector fork, activation lever, and vaccuum actuators and diaphram/ cable from a S/R push button car. As well as the shifter lever with the button itself.

A hole can be drilled in the D/R case to accept the lever for the 4wd shifter. Then the roll pin punched out of the 4wd selector fork and the HI/LO slider shaft that goes through the case. Remove both shafts and remove the D/S shift fork. Reinstall the D/R linkage shaft

Install the lever and S/R shift fork. It looks like you'd have to grind the D/R linkage shaft a bit on its top edge to clear the lever actuated S/R 4wd shift fork.

I guess if you've never looked at the guts of these you probaly won't know what I'm talking bout but it looks possible.

Thanks for the reply.

That confirms my doubts on the push-button transaxle, it's the one most readily available to me because it's there and could be obtained quite cheap.

Where I live the low range is essential.

I suppose I phrased the question wrong out of my lack of knowledge about the various types of trans out there over the years. I don't have a requirement for push- button or any particular type of actuation. Levers work just fine. Whether a solenoid is triggered via air, electric via pushbuttons, toggleswitch, column lever, headlight dimmer switch, whatever doesn't matter to me.

I should pull the actuating solenoid from that trans though. It seems they come in handy for a variety of things to modify.

Thanks for the reply.

That confirms my doubts on the push-button transaxle, it's the one most readily available to me because it's there and could be obtained quite cheap.

Where I live the low range is essential.

I suppose I phrased the question wrong out of my lack of knowledge about the various types of trans out there over the years. I don't have a requirement for push- button or any particular type of actuation. Levers work just fine. Whether a solenoid is triggered via air, electric via pushbuttons, toggleswitch, column lever, headlight dimmer switch, whatever doesn't matter to me.

I should pull the actuating solenoid from that trans though. It seems they come in handy for a variety of things to modify.

If you don''t need the pushbutton setup then it's a simple matter of installing a 5spd, DR. They did make them, in 85-89 GLs. It will have a lever activation, but is essentially a bolt in replacement for you're 4spd. Just make sure to get the 5spd shifter setup too.