Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Compass wrong on rear view mirror!?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Audiophobe

Audiophobe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:38 AM

Wierd problem but I happen to have a Magellan Road Mate 700 navigation unit and noticed the the compasses (nav. unit vs. mirror- 01 OBW-LL Bean) don't agree. When I was playing with the mirror control I noticed that when you keep the button depressed there is a "zone" option that you can change numbered 1 through 15 (I think). I assume the zone means what part of the Earth you are on.(?)
Anybody had this problem?

#2 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:24 AM

For the rear view, set the appropriate zone that you're in (should be in your owner's manual) and the error should go away. Note that if you drive to another zone, you need to set the new zone in. The Magellan GPS is corrected for whatever zone you're in...so I would first trust the Magellan, then verify by looking at your rear view compass (if it is set for the right zone.) Also, the rear view compass can be off for a variety of reasons...like running electronic equipment too close to it, cell phone towers, all sorts of stuff that can make it unreliable.

#3 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:31 AM

The very back page in your owner's manual has a map with the zones. You're either 11 or 12 depending on where in Connecticut you live and drive.

#4 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

trying to explain magnetic variation to the ground pounders, eh Strakes?

I prefer the Iron Compass myself. We get SO spoiled flying in the west.

:lol:

#5 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

trying to explaine magnetic variation to hte ground pounders, eh Strakes?

I've never seen LPC's (Leather Personnel Carriers) crash and burn......

Mine was set for the wrong zone as well - it was set for 5, as I recall.

#6 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 937 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:47 PM

Description of Magnetic Variation on Wikipedia.

Rough Visualization.

Now if I remember one of my flight instructor's side comments correctly, the frame of the car, electricity flowing through nearby wires, or anything else that can generate or alter a magnetic field can interfere with the compass. So if the compass seems really off, I'd start searching for interference.

I want to say my flight instructor said the compass had to be adjusted when it was installed in the aircraft, adjusting for any interference the other equipment/design of the aircraft. I doubt it could've been more than a few degrees, so I don't think you're gonna notice/complain about it in the car. A few thousand feet up, though...

#7 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

It funny to see the magnetic compass in the cockpit spin around and tumble when you power up the generators and avionics. And in the worst case scenario, I'm supposed to rely on this compass when all the redundant systems fail? Now I know why early navigators used the stars, sun, time, calendar and moon first then used their compass.

#8 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:52 AM

Another advantage of LPCs- a lot less magnetic interference.

#9 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:56 PM

It funny to see the magnetic compass in the cockpit spin around and tumble when you power up the generators and avionics. And in the worst case scenario, I'm supposed to rely on this compass when all the redundant systems fail? Now I know why early navigators used the stars, sun, time, calendar and moon first then used their compass.

I thought you used Interstates....

In Germany our chopper pilots could always find home because of the immense nuclear plant cooling tower nearby. In the day only medevac choppers had GPS. Now LPC's have GPS.....

#10 daehttub2000

daehttub2000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

My compass/rear-vew-mirror on my 2002 WRX went south on me and I had it replaced under warranty from my dealer. He told me that Subaru received a bad batch of mirrors and were replacing a bunch free of charge. You should check with your dealer.

GPS is worth every penny. I highly recommend anything made by Garmin. Just remember that those DOD satellites were originally used for targeting nukes so they're pretty reliable. Nothing like triangulating a fix from 3 satellites to figure out where you are and where you're supposed to go...

#11 Audiophobe

Audiophobe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

I checked and changed the code and it's definitely a defective compass. I am not the original owner and I would doubt, but be pleasantly surprised, if Subaru would give me a new mirror if there was no officila recall.

#12 Dickensheets

Dickensheets

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LOVELAND

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

Is there anything metallic hanging from your mirror...... Like a huge underwire bra leftover from prom or something?

#13 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Found this video useful today when doing one in a 2010 Outback with a new mirror install so it should be the same as a 2013 one.  

#14 ronemus

ronemus

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Oregon, WI

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

There is a calibration procedure that you should do periodically - check your owners' manual.  It corrects for changes in the magnetization of the body so you can get true readings.  Basically you push a button sequence to put it in calibration mode, then drive in a circle in an open area free of nearby steel objects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users