Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TCU Diagonstic Connector #5

Searching the board, I found the procedure to pull the TCU codes from my 97 Legacy 2.2 auto trans (trans oil temp light flashing 16 times) telling me there is a code.

The procedure indicates I need to connect the #5 diagonstic connector located under the dash. I've not been able to find it. The standard D-Check green single wire plug is there, but that's not what I need.

Using the following:

Gear Selector in D

Turn on the Ign

select 3,2,1 then press the gas half way.

The light stays on steady. I also did not get the FWD indicator when I put the fuse in. I'd like to get the codes out of the TCU before I call it toast.

Thanks

[...]The procedure indicates I need to connect the #5 diagonstic connector located under the dash.[...]

Not quite. The procedure calls for "grounding terminal #5 of connector B82 a 6 pole black, right side of steering column.", according to a not-so-well-written part of an End Wrench article.

I had to find and use a 6-pin black connector designated B82 when I diagnosed the ABS on my '99 OB. Terminal pins 4 and 5 don't exist in B82 on the '99 (they're just empty spaces, so you can't do AT diagnosis that way on a '99). B82 might be the same connector on the '97 as the '99, but may include something at terminal location #5. The B82 connector on the '99 was taped up to the wiring harness, near the green connectors. For info about the location and terminal pin numbering, see my post (#14) in this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46918&page=2

Note that I am not certain that B82 is the same connector on the '97 and '99, so if you are unable to verify that it is the correct location, or have any other doubts, please don't make the diagnostic connection.