Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got pulled over in my soob

dumb undercover state trooper in an unmarked explorer...

anyways, he comes up to the window asks for the normal stuff.. so i gave it to him, then he asks if i knew why he pulled me over.. i said yeah, because of that rejection sticker on the windshield there...

then he asks me if i was sure it was legal to drive.. i said yah everything but that damn inspection.. he says ya know its illegal with that sticker on there. i told him that i knew about the 15 day grace period to get it fixed.. then he asks what was wrong with the car (i think he thought the lift was illegal) so i gave him the paper from the shop.. it listed 3 things brake lines, inner tie rod end, and exhaust donut..

he looked it over a minute then said, well you really shouldn't be drivin it.. then i had to explain to him that my wife totaled my acura yesterday and i had no choice.. but assured him it was goin to get fixed thursday, the shop paper he looked at had that on there too...

he hands me my stuff back, and says well if ya like gettin pulled over, go ahead and drive it then, ohh and ya better get the county sticker put on there too..and he gets back in his explorer and speeds off..

now i thought to myself, what a dumb Sh**, pull me over to give me a hard time about my lifted soob.. least i knew he couldn't give me a ticket for anything.. i'm still in the 15 day grace period for that rejection sticker anyways..

so i got a good chuckle today when i was out for lunch..

and i think he was so stunned by the sheer elegance of my lifted soob that he forgot to ask me for my insurance.. (which i don't have the card yet):moon:

That's called 'good police work'.

I recon that's how they catch a lot of guys with warrants, drugs in the car, ETOH on your breath, stolen good on the back seat, assult rifles, that kind of stuff.

No beef against you, he's just doing his job.

:D

Only 2 months left on the demerit points against my license for a speeding ticket ... then I won't have to drive like grampa any more. :banana:

John Wilke

Milwaukee

I feel really bad for you guys that live in states that have inspections.... Oregon doesn't have anything. We can drive without windshields, just gotta have wipers though:D

Even this thing is street legal, no front fenders, not much left of rear panels, tires stick way out and it's beat to hell.... great wheeler though, 4.3, TH350, 4.10's, locked F/R, 36"sx's and more. Ahh Oregon the land of beater cars that are totaly legal to drive on public roads.... just have insurance and you're golden!

post-60-136027585626_thumb.jpg

Love those wipers with no windshield......

Intermittent:

WHACK ... ... ... WHACK ... ... ... WHACK ... ... ... WHACK

low

WHACK ... WHACK ... WHACK ... WHACK ... WHACK

hi:

WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK

I feel for you Meeky. I got a ticket this summer for an "Illeagal exhaust" on the Impreza. I am guilty as hell of course, 3 inch straight pipe from the turbo to the tail. I have had it for three years and this is the first one I got.

But here in Va it is all about subjective law. A harley, or pre 1980 car can be as loud as possible, any import cannot. A truck can be lifted depending on make, domestic can be lifted any height, imports 3 or 4 inches, and cars not at all.

yeah a pic of it would be good.. damnhatch blew a radiator hose tonight when i picked up the wife, i estimate i drove it about 5 miles without anything in it since the hose just came off the thermostat housing.. never even got above normal temp :banana:

but it still needs an engine :madder:

i remember when i lived in oregon and worked at a car lot, the no windshield thing was funny as hell.. we had this suzuki samarai, no windshield, but we had working wipers, so it never had a problem, was our lot car tho :lol:

Here it is, simple as can be. Just fold the end over a wire to shape a retaining clamp. Leave it open just enough to fit over the line then you can close the clamp over the line after it is mounted.

I welded mine to the fender well. If you don't have access to a welder, drill a pilot hole and use a self tapping screw.

bracket1.jpg

I would suggest some sort of insulating material between the bracket and line, to prevent chaffing of the line.

In running new fuel and brake lines, even running new wiring for lights or whatever, I take a short section of hose and split it lenghtwise, wrap it around the line or wires, then fasten it at that point.

When wiring up a trailer, I use garden hose as a conduit for the wires, and staple that to the underside of the floor of the trailer.

Saves headaches down the road.

Just my .02

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

Actually - it is illegal in Oregon to have tires that stick out past the fenders. There's one exception - if the car was at ANY time in the past registered for at least one year in Cali, then it's ok. That's the way it was explained to me anyway. Will the cops pull your over for it? Probably not.

GD

Hmmm would be an interesting road side debate...

officer : "your tires stick out beyond the fenders, do you know that is not legal?"

Toyofast: "um there are no fenders so how do you know if they are sticking out beyond the fenders?"

Here in Soobville, the police have given up on giving us tickets due to the great number of Soobs we drive.....it's like every day we are driving a different Soob! They tried giving us a hard time at first, but they bore easy....or they are affraid that we will assasinate their yard!:brow:

Josh

Originally posted by MorganM

Hmmm would be an interesting road side debate...

officer : "your tires stick out beyond the fenders, do you know that is not legal?"

Toyofast: "um there are no fenders so how do you know if they are sticking out beyond the fenders?"

ROFL..... :burnout:

Originally posted by 1ABAJA

Here in Soobville, the police have given up on giving us tickets due to the great number of Soobs we drive.....it's like every day we are driving a different Soob! They tried giving us a hard time at first, but they bore easy....or they are affraid that we will assasinate their yard!:brow:

Josh

Still ROFL.....

Eons ago, I had a County Deputy hassle me about my Chevy 1/2 ton with a flat bed. Every Wednesday he'd stop me, in just about the same stretch of road. Just wanted to see my registration is all.

Tells me the truck is improperly registered because it has a flat bed instead of a box. But it's really still a 1/2 ton truck. Secretary of State even said so, unless I swap in a bigger axle.

This went on for a month or so. Finally told him to stop harassing me, or I would go talk to the Sherrif.

He stopped me again the following week. He about messed himself the next day, when as he was walking out of the Office, I was walking in. Even had a copy of the regulations regarding the trucks registration with me.

No more hassles from the Deputy.

Had a State Trooper stop me for alledgedly speeding. Said he had me clocked @ 64mph, and the car infront of me @ 55mph.

Asked him how that could be, as I had been the same distance behind that car since we both made the turn off of US-12, 5 miles back. Honest....

We bickered for 5 minutes or so, then he let me go. Sometimes it helps to stand firm in your beliefs, and argue with Authority types.

Yep! Sometimes it does help to debate - but debate gently.

I recently got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. (I wear my seat belf FAITHFULLY) and he asked to see ID. I handed it to him and he told me he had seen that I didn't have my seatbelt on. HELLO!! I was wearing a black jacket in a car that has next to limo tinted windows. I told him that I had been wearing my seatbelt since I got in my car at the post office. I told him I always wear my seatbelt and that I never go without...

Well long story short, He knew as well as I did, it was my word against his and I had the dark on my side so there was no use taking action.

And THAT was my first time not putting on my pitiful, sorrowful, almost blank look on my face ready to cry myself out of it. I guess it was the shock of being pulled over in the first place.

tada! Driven over 200,000 in my cars alone (in 7 years of driving) and never achieved a ticket.

heh, there was not one thing he coulda gave me a ticket for really.. i had just replaced every light bulb on the outside of the car, seatbelts work, no cracks in any window, everything works, lift is totall legal due to the BIG BOOK stating the body cannot be lifted more than 3" tires are like new.. etc. etc.. and i was legal under the 15 day inspection period since the sticker had been slapped on my car the day before.. still had the shop reciept..

i just think he thought he could be funny, and thought he was pullin over some redneck in a soob..

my father was a sheriff in rio grande county co. for a good many years, so i learned what ya could and couldn't be leagally ticketed for, and have always made sure my vehicles are legal before they hit the road.. he always told me don't stick out and they'll leave ya alone, but ya know, for some reason i really like sticking out in my Soob. :banana:

i would have to agree that there is only one yoyo in ten. i got popped doing 68 in a 55 with an invalid license, invalid insurance, and non corrective lenses (they broke and i was on my way to get them fixed. 800$ ticket :banghead:

about 8 months later i got popped doing 136 in a 65 :D and i got a warning. :banana:

first one was a city cop and the second was a county cop. took the 800 ticket to my lawier. 225$ later..........

can you believe that my driving record is clean?

mike