Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'78 Brat comin back

So today, I have declared to work on my '78 Brat. I'm going to get the fornt suspension put back underneath it today and hopefully back on 4 wheels. Then I'll be putting a hydro lifter EA81 into it with a dual range 4-speed that will be locked into 4 hi. I'll only have a few things missing which won't matter too much to get it back on the road, I just miss my little lowered Brat:headbang:

Sounds interesting.Are you going to lift it?Any performance mods?I want to see this one too.:)

Nope, I'm gonna leave it slammed like I had it. Also going to leave it RWD as well but I plan on dropping a Weber onto it, doing my custom EA81 front suspension/brake swap with the custom control arms I made years ago, plus a rear disc brake conversion. Most of the mods are going to be done on the body itself, like shaved doorhandles, locks, mirrors, the EA82 style popping gastank latch, my gen 1 airdam I have, plus a few other things. I'm rollin it back into the shop here in a couple weeks once I get a bit more work done on the RX.

hurray for warm weather and the prospect of completing some of the damn projects that built up over the winter

this project started like over a year ago, right before I bought my RX. Now my RX has taken all of my thought away from the Brat and seeing it sit there as literally a bare shell, I had a tear come to my eye. I missed harassing all the stoopid little kids with it. Hopefully I can get a website going called www.fattybrattyburnouts.com :burnout:

man, i`m glad to hear you got your brat back! looking forward to seeing it when it is done. so you are going ea81 this time? i am going to build up my high comp ea71 and come down and race you lol:lol: RWD would be sweet too, now you`ve got me thinkin:rolleyes: we should make a group of high preformance gen 1`s. i know we have you, me, and Garner:brow:

man now i'm even more excited about making my gen1...i want to do the body work on it this summer... i've never done any body work on a car before but i've watch a lot of overhauling so i'm feeling pretty cocky... :Phow are you going about shaving your door handles, locks and mirrors? do you just mean completely removing them... or...? are you going to remove the trim? i was also thinking of doing something to the side maker lights... use some smaller and sleeker looking ones... after i do the body i'm moving over to the performance stuff... i'm skipping the EA stuff... got an ej22 with RX drivetrain lined up and waiting... then i'll be able to join the ranks of you, 75subie and garner! :Dwhat colour were you planning on painting your car???

ok I got some front fenders from a junkyard like years ago when I was building my '79 wagon which I ended up giving to Paul. The fenders, before I moved, I decided to shave the side marker lights, and the trim off of them. They look sweet but I just need to get them out here from Oregon. As far as the door handles, locks and mirrors, I will be shaving them totally off and putting in a shaved door handle kit that I can get for a couple hundred bucks. Since I also removed my front and rear bumpers when I first got the car, I will also be making the body around the front and back where the bumper wraps around smoother and be adding in a roll pan. Then maybe do some sort of tubbing in the rear (unsure of yet) with some nice big tires. I'm going to get a 3.90VLSD eventually when I convert my RX to 3.90s and then use the stock LSD from that, convert it to a 3.90 and then slap that puppy in.

As far as drivetrain, I do have a solid lifter EA81 in my garage in need of a front main seal so I might go with that. Also, I might be able to score a single range 4-speed from a '83 DL wagon. Granted, I wouldn't mind going with the 5-speed but I would have to make a driveshaft work for it and just a lot more work that I want to do right now.

did you say yours was lowered by taking the front strut coil springs completly out, and cranking down the rear torsion bars all the way? i am thinking about lowering mine in the next couple days. today i did a little work on her, took off the bumpers, and straightened out a few things, but i hope to do a little more this week. i am wondering if it is worth switching out the standard ea71 for the higher compression ea71, or if i should just leave the standard motor in there and add the weber, ect., ect. also going to add a third eye, and keep the roof spoiler on it. man i have brat mod fever:clap:

did you say yours was lowered by taking the front strut coil springs completly out, and cranking down the rear torsion bars all the way? i am thinking about lowering mine in the next couple days. today i did a little work on her, took off the bumpers, and straightened out a few things, but i hope to do a little more this week. i am wondering if it is worth switching out the standard ea71 for the higher compression ea71, or if i should just leave the standard motor in there and add the weber, ect., ect. also going to add a third eye, and keep the roof spoiler on it. man i have brat mod fever:clap:

Yup, I also removed the bumpstops that are located in the top of the piece that sits on top of the spring. Its about a 1 1/4" thick and with removing those and removing my rear bumpstops, I was tucking stock 185/70R13's!

nope no rubbing issues whatsoever. Plus, the fact that I lowered it like that made the rear diff like to posi whenever I did awesome burnouts. Can't wait to do it again:D

As far as those size tires, I dunno if you'll have any rubbing issues with them. I'm planning on staying a more stock size with mine cause I want to put some EA81T 4-spoke alloys under it with a nice black paint job.

reverse burnouts sound sweet:D i can`t wait:lol: first i have to fix my e-brake and take out the front axle shafts.

i started on the third eye install today. i chopped out the center rad support, just to find out that the damn thing won`t fit with the motor anyway:mad: i am going to use a choke cable, and handle to open and close the door, and use the stock switch just to operate the light itself. i guess there are less things to go wrong now:-\

reverse burnouts sound sweet:D i can`t wait:lol: first i have to fix my e-brake and take out the front axle shafts.

i started on the third eye install today. i chopped out the center rad support, just to find out that the damn thing won`t fit with the motor anyway:mad: i am going to use a choke cable, and handle to open and close the door, and use the stock switch just to operate the light itself. i guess there are less things to go wrong now:-\

ahhhh yes, reverse brunouts were always a favorite thing. I forgot I had it in reverse and I went to do a burnout and started roasting the tires in reverse. Car was movin a bit so I let down on the ebrake, crank it hard to the right and swung the nose of it around, slammed it into first and away I went!

But yeah, I don't think I could ever cut my grille up because its getting harder and harder to find a cherry quad headlight grille for a gen 1. I just happen to have two;)

The motor fit ok in the 79dl after I removed the A/C radiator.

I had to cut some of the cyclops frame to make a good fit,, but it fit.

Cut like this, you could leave a little on the bottom, and across the top will be ok to leave too. I cut out a little too much, but it still looks ok.

Dremeltime.jpg

yeah, i wish i could find another grill to buy just for insurance purposes, but i am going to take the time to cut this one up right. i hope it isn`t too brittle:-\

thanks Rex, i will try to be a conservative cutter on the grill just incase.

i think the cyclops that i have is the earlier model, and yours is the later model. on mine the motor sits really low and the the side, it just is way to big for the area in the brat, even with the a/c rad out. if i hack off the bottom section and use a choke cable, and cable, i think it should work well, and be efficient:D

thanks Rex, i will try to be a conservative cutter on the grill just incase.

i think the cyclops that i have is the earlier model, and yours is the later model. on mine the motor sits really low and the the side, it just is way to big for the area in the brat, even with the a/c rad out. if i hack off the bottom section and use a choke cable, and cable, i think it should work well, and be efficient:D

Hope it works out for ya. I wired mine up, but not exactly correct. I only used three wires of the six. I have a hard time telling when the door is open or closed, caust it doesn't stop till I let off the power. So I pull up behind someone and use the reflection off the car ahead of me:grin:

I found some random switch under the dash that was just hanging there doingnothing, so I'm gonna put it so it will switch on, when the door opens all the way, as to lite up a skull I will hook up inside. So i can tell when the door is all the way open, the skull will lite up inside:headbang: