Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to stop the oil leaks in my 78 Brat

Ok I need to freshen up the motor in my 78 Brat. It had been sitting for 10 years when I got it. Since I have been driving it more and more oil is leaking from it. I know I need to replace gaskets and seals. Just need to know which ones need to be replaced. I am more familar with ea 82 engines. I know the ea 71 is not the most complex engine but I am not sure all what to replace. Obviously I need to do the valve cover gaskets but what else? I only have oil leaks. No anti freeze. Tranny leaks too. Thanks.

One good thing to do it to have it cleaned and then see exactly where the leaks are coming from.

Just because you don't see coolant doesn't mean you don't need headgaskets.Valve cover gaskets for sure,you can count on them being soaked at the bottom and dripping a little.Oil pump and seals,get them while you can.

If you smell gear oil dripping onto your exhaust you'll likely need the seals that go around the stub axles on the differential.

Good luck with it.