Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:headbang: So I took my new Baja on it's first trip this week. I did almost 500 miles roundtrip up and back the 101 Coast Hwy in Oregon. What an awesome rig to travel in! Ran great, plenty of power (had to set the cruise control so I wouldn't go to fast and get a ticket!). The few times I did pass someone the power in this vehicle is so readily available it almost seemed effortless! I got 22 mpg, and just turned 1k on the odometer. I'm happy with that mileage as I was driving a Dakota Quad Cab with a V8 before this rig and only got about 14-16mpg in that beast! Question- does anyone think that the mileage will get even better as the engine breaks in? It's hard to keep your foot out of the Baja as it is so fun to drive, so I could probably get better mileage if I drove a bit more mellow.

I had my wife and kids with me, so we put all our luggage in big rubbermaid containers and strapped them down in the back so nothing would get wet. Sure was nice having the open back to toss the kids sand toys and beach stuff in and not have to worry about getting sand all over my interior!

One thing I noticed is that everywhere I went people would stare at the Baja. Don't know if it was because they liked it or thought it was ugly! I like it and that's what counts!

My only complaint about the vehicle (very minor), is the cupholder. Anything larger then a soda can will get in the way when you're trying to shift! I just started putting my beverage in the back seat cupholder. Problem solved!

Spacinjason

:headbang: Mine is a 5 sp. MT and I only run Premium in it. Usually Texaco or Chevron. I would have liked to drive the AT just to see how it performed, but I know I would have been kicking myself down the road for not purchasing a MT. Great little rig!

Spacinjason

:headbang: Scoobyclimbs- how far is it up to Hood River from Grants Pass? I just started a new job, so time off is a little hard to come by right now. What is the event all about?

By the way, Isn't there a distillary in Hood River? Seems like I remember drinking thier vodka when I was in high school! TIA!

Spacinjason

One thing I noticed is that everywhere I went people would stare at the Baja. Don't know if it was because they liked it or thought it was ugly! I like it and that's what counts!

I love the Bajas. I'm in a Legacy wagon and hope to pick up my own Baja in a couple years. I test drove a 5-speed non-turbo one and was really pleased. The ride height and feel of the vehicle is great. I used to drive a 4-speed El Camino until I started having kids and have missed the truck/car experience.

As far as the stares--I think most people like the looks of these cars. They're sleek, sporty, and rugged at the same time. I know sales have been sluggish and that Subaru was considering cutting the Baja from its lineup. I think the big problem with this car has been its marketing, or rather lack of. This vehicle really reaches beyond the "typical" new Subaru buyer. I've not seen any advertising for the thing, except a few magazine ads when it first came out. You take the exact same Baja, strip the Subaru badges off and replace them with Chevy emblems, stick it on the Chevy dealer lot, and they'd sell like crazy to all these people who like the concept of the Baja but feel obligated to stick with an American brand. Had SOA pushed hard the "Built In the USA" into some cool advertising for this thing, there'd be double the number you now see on the road...