Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Blowing coolant EVERYWHERE

I havent had a chance to do a compression test on the EA82T. I replaced the lower radiator hose because the old one had blown up. And when I mean blown up, it exploded. The hose almost blew in half.

Anyhow, got everything back together, and it started up. It idle's when cold at around 2,000 rpm. I didnt notice any smoke comming out of the exhaust, but I did notice that with the radiator cap off, coolant loves to shoot out of the radiator. Its like a geiser, it'll shoot water a good 12" into the air, if not higher.

What would cuase this. I heard blown head gaskets will do this. But wouldnt there be white smoke in the exhaust as well?

Also, when its warm, the thing wont idle at all. If you let it die, it wont restart either. Damn Subaru left me stranded a block from my house. Tried to start it until the battery died, then came back with my '84 Wagon to jump start it, but i didnt need to cause the damn Turbo started right up after sitting for that long.

GRRR

-Brian

that's what mtn grizz did when the head gasket went south... the gasket is gone in a place that is allowing the exhaust into the coolant passage. the pressure is higher on the exhaust side, so it goes to the coolant side.....

I replaced the headgaskets, and that motor is now in my 82 Brat running great.....

If it's of any consolation, the EA82T in my wagon has just done it's head gasket also. Not quite as impressively as yours, it's just pumping out coolant into the reserve tank and overflowing that while cruising at highway speeds. Not too bad around town though. I'm not looking forward to having to repair it, or the costs either. It's currently having a rest in the back corner of the shed until I get some money and feel like repairing it, meanwhile I now have to be seen driving around in a Toyota RAV4 :eek:

its not that hard I did it o my 87 of course that ones not a turbo, but I don't think it would be that much harder. If we were closer to each other I'd buy it off of you but were on diffrent coasts so thats outta the question.:rolleyes: