Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am getting new tires soon. Should I get alignment too? I last had it aligned about 2 years ago. I havnt had any major bumps that I recall, and it still tracks straight.

But recently I got new rims (up one size) and im about to get new tires on them, should I have it done?

I am getting new tires soon. Should I get alignment too? I last had it aligned about 2 years ago. I havnt had any major bumps that I recall, and it still tracks straight.

But recently I got new rims (up one size) and im about to get new tires on them, should I have it done?

If the prevoius tires had even wear I say no. The new wheels MAY indicate you intend to drive differently! If so, watch the new tires for uneven wear and then get an alignment done.

Carl

listen to 1 lucky texan. alignments are not necessary. i've put 100,000 miles on a car, had the suspension apart multiple times, driven off road, and never get alignments. even after the repairs that "require" alignment. i replace ball joints, hubs, struts, tires....never get alignments. my tires have always warn perfectly even. until they start to wear uneven i'm not dropping money on an alignment (or more importantly letting someone else touch my car).

Can't hardly agree with never needing an alignment. Case in point:

I recently replaced the front struts on my 97 Legacy Outback and even though I did mark the relationship of the lower strut mounting bolts that set the camber to the old struts before removing them, and then using the same approximate position with the new struts......if it quits raining here in the next little bit I'll go out and take a picture of the inside edge of the passengers side front tire....the one with the rubber of the sidewall worn to the steel where it rubbed the strut before I had it aligned.

Can't hardly agree with never needing an alignment. Case in point:
good point. tire companies would have you believe that if you buy new tires and don't get an alignment at the same time the tire will detread and separate within minutes. i'm a little peeved at the hundreds of needless dollars i spent in the past, trying to make up for lost time and save others.

let me say it this way....proper alignment is very important. but that doesn't mean it needs to be done with every tire change.

i will also correct myself based on your comment on another point, most cars (newer ones for sure) should definititely be inspected closely or aligned after suspension work. the older subaru's (that i mentioned before) don't have all the degrees of alignment so they may not be as susceptible as most vehicles. EA and ER series subaru are missing one of the three adjustments, it's not possible.

cool. Well that will save me $70. Sears (where I get my tires) says they will do an alignment check for free. but if its out they fix it and charge. Meaning if they do the check, and its off they dont ask you before they fix it. I immagine very few cars get out of there with no charge because they probably "fix" even the slightest missalignment.