Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seattle: Stolen '99 Impreza RS - RECOVERED (pix)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I fired it back up by turning the stem with a screwdriver. Not exactly difficult.
I really ponder at times the sort of politics that must play out in the inner sanctums of auto companies when glaring issues like this go "unnoticed" year after year, after year, after...

It only took 40 years or so for the braintrust of the big three to quit pretending that peoples heads weren't bouncing off the metal dashboards:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I really ponder at times the sort of politics that must play out in the inner sanctums of auto companies when glaring issues like this go "unnoticed" year after year, after year, after...

It only took 40 years or so for the braintrust of the big three to quit pretending that peoples heads weren't bouncing off the metal dashboards:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

well if your car gets stolen, then you need another. Thats the logic. The running joke with subarus used to be what car thief would get caught stealing a subaru, he would get laughed out of the 'hood. But now with them getting nicer, they are going to be targets. can just hope that they get resistor keys some day.

nipper

No sense of decency, either. Stealing the car probably gave them more time to yank the radio out. So why can't they take the time to find the right tools, rather than ripping the dash apart like that? Besides the "thrill of destruction", it's just pure lack of consideration for your fellow man.

Sure wish they'd catch whoever did it, and provide the same lack of consideration for his health and well-being.

That Dash is very repairable and the way they cut the harness is actually pretty clean compared to what they did to my Vanagon when they YANKED the wires. For 100 bucks you can get an aftermarket stereo that will fit nice in the dash and play MP3's and have a detachable face that you can take with you when you park it somewhere.

If you like the car buy it back and have a reputable shop replace the dash or do it yourself.

No sense of decency, either. Stealing the car probably gave them more time to yank the radio out. So why can't they take the time to find the right tools, rather than ripping the dash apart like that? Besides the "thrill of destruction", it's just pure lack of consideration for your fellow man.

Sure wish they'd catch whoever did it, and provide the same lack of consideration for his health and well-being.

I ofter wonder where evil originates from and how it comes to invade the hearts of certain people just like a disease. The only problem is that the quest has made me just plain annoying, ...but I mean well. :)

Sorry for your loss dude,

Back in the old days, the car theives had a code of minimizing damage. They'd smash the smallest rear window (remember the "opera" type windows) and skillfully extract the most valuable components leaving personal items alone. Apparently, doing things the right way is faster and quieter than smashing and ripping out stuff. After getting my cars hit a few times, the consolation was that the thieves followed an etiquette that made repair and insurance compensation an easier task.

The persons who took your car were not only amateurs but idiots. Possibly meth-addled morons desperate for anything. It's sad. Hopefully the cops were able to get prints if they even bother with that thing anymore. They would probably get a match from previous drug offenders.

Whoa! I didn't expect all the replies.

To catch up a bit...

The recommendation not to buy it back stems from the salvage title. If it ever gets stolen again, or wrecked, the insurance company will not pay anything for it.

I realize the RS is pretty rare, so I may try to buy it back. I am at least going to find out what they want for it.

I'm a little worried about the engine, as I am sure they didn't drive it nicely. They obviously don't have a lot of concern for the condition of the car.

As for the "white powder", let's just say my car is no longer a "non smoking vehicle". They used the coin tray as an ash tray.

Neither of those stereos was mine, but thanks for posting up the links. I would imagine the fog lamps are probably in someone else's car by now.

MLJ

The recommendation not to buy it back stems from the salvage title. If it ever gets stolen again, or wrecked, the insurance company will not pay anything for it.

Sweet! Liability payments only! :banana: Sounds like you didn't get much for it when you had a good title anyhow. (sorry, just trying to turn this lemon into some palitable lemonade)

I would hope the thieves didn't have that much time behind the wheel to cause any serious damage to the mechanical. If I were to steal a car I wouldn't be racing around in it for fear of being spotted, nor would I be hanging on to it for days racing it around. Best case scenario would be that they drove the car straight to a private garage, ripped the heck out of the dash, then drove it to the closest parking lot. The thief probably lives within a mile of that high school.

The recommendation not to buy it back stems from the salvage title. MLJ
It would only have a salvage title if they totaled the car, and I can't see a reason to do that. Yes, they did pay off the claim, but that doesn't mean that it has to be totalled. This car should come with a clean title, even buying it back from the insurance company.

I hope you got the PMs that I sent you earlier.

Just because the car has a salvage title doesn't mean that it has zero value or that the insurance won't pay you anything for it if it gets wrecked. We had a 92 Dodge minivan with a salvage title (it was stolen and was the victim of a chop shop when it was a few months old). When someone hit us, the insurance paid the market value. The market value is always going to be less with a salvage title, but it's not zero and not so substantially less that it's not worthwhile. My experience with buy-backs is that the insurance will sell it back at an extremely reduced price, thousands below the market value. I think you could come out ahead on this deal, even considering the repairs you'd need to make. You'd still have the same car you always had and know the history of, except for a few days when it was stolen. Buying something used, you won't necessarily have an idea. For all you know, the owner could have driven it rough for years, not just a few days.

"Extremely reduced" is right! When I totaled my old Volvo 240 (hit a deer), I bought it back for $50. It wasn't worth fixing due to rust, but it's worth way more than that as parts for my other Volvo. Heck, it's worth more than $50 as scrap metal!

I used the rest of the insurance payout as the downpayment on my '99 Outback. :headbang:

"Extremely reduced" is right! When I totaled my old Volvo 240 (hit a deer), I bought it back for $50. It wasn't worth fixing due to rust, but it's worth way more than that as parts for my other Volvo. Heck, it's worth more than $50 as scrap metal!

I used the rest of the insurance payout as the downpayment on my '99 Outback. :headbang:

i'm starting to get to the point where i wish that something would happen to my car....i love my car and all....but.....you know.....

i'm starting to get to the point where i wish that something would happen to my car....i love my car and all....but.....you know.....

I have a POS Ford in my family that I would love it if "something" happened to it.

If it is hailing or there is a tornado alert, look around for a guy driving a red ford contour and wearing a helmet! :D

there's a street in richmond ,va where you can park it. the fall is the best time of year, the new college students aren't used to the trafic circle and when it rains, on a saturday night...wham!!!:grin:

but then your insurance would go up.

I have a POS Ford in my family that I would love it if "something" happened to it.

If it is hailing or there is a tornado alert, look around for a guy driving a red ford contour and wearing a helmet! :D