Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brat Doors?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gbianchi

gbianchi

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Cda,Id.

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:10 PM

Are gen 1 brat doors replaceable with any other subee doors???
Specificly 80 brats and 80 others, I hope oh how I hope! Heres a tip don't start your brat from outside the drivers door with it in reverse with the door open next to a fence post:banghead: :eek: :banghead: :eek: :banghead: :eek: :banghead::boohoo:

#2 luv2cmybrat

luv2cmybrat

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Rock Hill,SC

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:28 PM

ouch!!!!!!!

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 21 October 2003 - 10:35 PM

80 Brat's are Gen 1's, and 80 everything else is Gen 2, so your going to have to get a door from a 79 or older "something else". I don't know if anything else will fit, but if they are like Gen 2's then it would be a coupe door that you are looking for. Don't think they had a Gen 1 hatchback, which is the other Gen 2 vehicle that will swap doors with gen 2 Brat's

GD

#4 gbianchi

gbianchi

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Cda,Id.

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:00 PM

So it will be a safe bet that it will be little difficult to find such a door in this part of the country, cause everyone drives there old subees till the wheels fall off. Thanks for the info, could be alot of gen 1 parts for sale if I don't find a door:boohoo:

#5 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 22 October 2003 - 12:03 AM

1981 is the last year of the first Brat body.(Gen I)

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 October 2003 - 12:06 AM

Right you are moose - I was just speaking of all the other gen 1's - wagons and coupes and stuff. Cause he was wondering if anything from another body would fit....

GD

#7 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 22 October 2003 - 12:10 AM

you could probably have it repaired, unless that fencepost was really sturdy.

#8 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 22 October 2003 - 12:14 AM

A door from a ea71 hardtop might work but the chances are that if it dose you will need to swap the the window glass from your brat door.

#9 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 22 October 2003 - 01:46 AM

There was no Gen 1 hatchback, in fact there wasn't a single Subaru with a glassback (not counting wagons and the Sambar) until 1980.

Fast-forward to 1987-89 and we have four models for sale at once...but that's something else entirely. (3- and 5-door Justys, 3-door Coupe, and hatchback, all at the same time.)

#10 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,719 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 22 October 2003 - 02:12 AM

Any door from a late 1977 to 1979, 2 door coupe, sedan, or hardtop will fit. (DL, GF)

The glass WILL need to be changed. The BRAT has unique glass.
Easy job though.

Actually, the car doors are BETTER than the original BRAT doors. The cars had to meet "side impact" standards, so SUBARU added a steel reinforcement to the internal structure of the door. (Similar to the later cars.) The BRATS did not have to meet this standard for some reason. Hmm!

I have switched, (prior to painting), all the doors on my Gen 1 BRATs to car door for specifically this reason. You are safer in a side collision!!

Todd
http://m2.aol.com/subaru3

#11 gbianchi

gbianchi

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Cda,Id.

Posted 22 October 2003 - 09:31 AM

Wow great info guys, anybody got any extra car doors just laying around getting in their way???? Thanks for the replys I'm headin to the JY.

#12 pleiades

pleiades

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • NC

Posted 22 October 2003 - 09:33 AM

Originally posted by gbianchi
Wow great info guys, anybody got any extra car doors just laying around getting in their way???? Thanks for the replys I'm headin to the JY.

There is a yard near by that has a brat. I forgot the camera last time I was out there, but the next trip in two weeks I'll be snapping photos of whats there in case anyone needs anything.

#13 gbianchi

gbianchi

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Cda,Id.

Posted 22 October 2003 - 09:18 PM

Well the junk yard was a gold mine, 78brat, got the fender,got the drivers seat, got some interior parts, YEE HA! Sorry for yelling everyone. 80brat got the drivers door, its even blue, YEE HA! oops sorry. The funny part was there weren't any 80 and below cars, just the 2 brats, did I say YEE HA!!!:D :clap:

#14 gbianchi

gbianchi

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Cda,Id.

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:33 PM

swap seat positions. drivers to passenger or visa versa:argue:

#15 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 27 October 2003 - 12:23 AM

No. The recline levers would be right next to the center console and rendered totally inaccessible by the exhaust hump and the console. In additon the seatbelts would be on the outboard sides, instead of inboard--you wouldn't be able to use the seatbelts at all. I'm sure you could shoehorn the driver's seat into the passenger side, (not sure about the rail setup though) but given the symmetry--adjusters for reach, lumbar, ashtray on DL models (we're only talking Gen 1 here, right?), and recliners, and the seatbelt issue, I think you'd be best off with an upholstery job or seatcovers.

My 2ยข, Andrew

#16 gbianchi

gbianchi

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Cda,Id.

Posted 27 October 2003 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the info, recovering isn't an option cause I only have the drivers seat, but I know where another drivers seat is/was. So I was thinking of swapping the position and recline levers to the outboard side, seatbelts are not an issue as they are mounted to the floor pan?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users