Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82>ea82t

i was looking at ea82t's for a swap in my 91 loyale with a standard ea82. would that be a straight swap? with not mush problems. basically im asking if the turbo will work/fit

Short answer: No

Long answer: If you really wanted to, yes, but you'll basically need a whole donor front clip or car. Just swapping the turbo to your block isn't a reliable solution as your engine is 9.5:1 comp, and the turbo is 7.7:1. Different pistons. Different heads, and different intake. Not to mention the entire wireing harness for the engine and the computer for it....

As for seats - swap anyting you like - just have to weld up your car's mounting rails. I've seen anything from legacy, to toyota MR2, to izuzu. XT and XT6 are possible too, but consider that there are LOTS of seats out there besides Subaru's.

GD

Still need the entire wireing harness and computer - will also have to fab a new exhaust as it may not come with the downpipe. It will phisically fit in the car - but so would an EJ22, and for the cost of the EJ22 + adaptor plate and drilled flywheel you would get a decent 135 HP instead of the rather wimpy 115 HP of the EA82T. Plus a decent used EJ22 would cost less than a JDM EA82T and all the wireing.

GD

would the ej22 bolt in to the mounts without fabrication?

Yes - the mount holes in the cross member need to be slotted about 3/4" wider. Easily done with a file or dremel tool. Other than that, it's pretty simple..... not any harder than converting to a turbo would be anyway. Mostly wireing.

GD

would i need the radiator from the ej22 also? also my first swap so i dont wanna get in over my head or out of a car for too long

First swap - expect to be out a car for at least 2 weeks to a month.

Radiator in your car should work fine - as long as it's in good shape. EJ22 works fine with EA series radiators.

GD