Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choices

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:03 PM

I picked up a project 86 wagon a couple of months ago. The body is really nice, and the motor is seized. So I found a 94 Legacy with 164,000 for $450 that was going to be an engine donor, but once I started working on it, it turned out to be too nice to part out (LS, AWD, all the goodies).

So Thursday I bought a 90 Legacy with 165,000 miles for $250. The trans sounds like a garbage disposal with a couple of forks in it, but it got to my house under its own power. I suppose I could fix it, but it's only 2wd and I have this other idea.....

I already have a FT 4wd dual range trans with the locking center diff and a LSD rear, and I have a rusty 86 turbo wagon that has the rear brakes, nice interior, axles, and other parts to donate. So it's going to take out two other subarus to build my project car, but it will end up being:

4wd wagon, lifted 2", 6 lugs with 29" tires, EJ22, d/r FT 4WD, rear LSD, 4-wheel disk brakes, additional soundproofing and the GL-10 seats and interior. I'm thinking it will be worth it.

Just to add a twist, I had someone approach me today and offer me a 94 SVX with a bad tranny for $500. My wife asked me if I'd rather have that, but I think I'd still prefer my project car.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

Put a 5 speed in the SVX and sell it for 10 times what you pay for it - that will finance a nice project.

GD

#3 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

man, do your up your dream project car,you will be much happier. the svx will turn out to be a headache. i bought one with a bad tranny, put a tranny in it, and blew it again the next week.

GD what 5 sp fits an svx??

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

Any EJ series... the SVX has the EG33 - 3.3L H6 producing 230 HP. Straight bolt up to any EJ series AWD 5 speed....

You use the legacy pedal assembly, clutch, and stuff - modify the shifter console with a boot instead of the auto plate. It's not terribly hard really. There's a shop in WA that will do the whole conversion for $4,000 including all the parts. If you buy the parts, should come in well under $500.

GD

#5 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

Yeah, I guess the SVX project could be worth some money, but I'm also remodeling my house, and time is limited. I guess the real question is how guilty I should feel about sending two lesser subarus to the scrap heap in order to build my project.

#6 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

an svx with a 5sp m/t would probly be a rocket, and it would solve the a/t problems.

#7 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

Put a 5 speed in the SVX and sell it for 10 times what you pay for it - that will finance a nice project.

GD

So will a Legacy AWD auto go straight into the SVX?

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

Not sure if that would be a straight swap, but probably could work with some modifications..... Not sure it would hold up to the weight of the SVX tho. Plus if you are going to the trouble of modification, a 5 speed is lighter and does in fact make for a pretty quick SVX I hear.

GD

#9 keltik

keltik

Clearly an idiot

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:21 AM

I guess the real question is how guilty I should feel about sending two lesser subarus to the scrap heap in order to build my project.

Hmm, just stick some Honda badges on them and it'll all be ok. Nothing will beat your dream project, getting exactly what you want is the best.

KELTIK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users