Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why won't these things fit?!

So I bought a '90 Loyale 4wd auto wagon this weekend. Good thing. Moms hatch is down for the count with water pump and carb issues and I can't get the right new lower rad hose. Bad thing. Well, I decided to make lemonade out two lemons and rob moms non-driving of it's '13 white spokes to the replace the god awful ugly hub caps covering multi colored steelies on the Loyale. The swap was quick other than the fact that center caps wont fit with the wheels on the Loyale, but when I went to back out of the garage, it seemed like my brakes were stuck. Turns out the outer edge of the caliper is rubbing the spokes on the wheels pretty bad. I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this as well and if so what actions you took to resolve the issue. I was thinking spacers, but I haven't really seen any thin ones around at the parts stores, much less ones for 4 lug. Any ideas?

So I bought a '90 Loyale 4wd auto wagon this weekend. Good thing. Moms hatch is down for the count with water pump and carb issues and I can't get the right new lower rad hose. Bad thing. Well, I decided to make lemonade out two lemons and rob moms non-driving of it's '13 white spokes to the replace the god awful ugly hub caps covering multi colored steelies on the Loyale. The swap was quick other than the fact that center caps wont fit with the wheels on the Loyale, but when I went to back out of the garage, it seemed like my brakes were stuck. Turns out the outer edge of the caliper is rubbing the spokes on the wheels pretty bad. I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this as well and if so what actions you took to resolve the issue. I was thinking spacers, but I haven't really seen any thin ones around at the parts stores, much less ones for 4 lug. Any ideas?

I had this problem before I used small grinder to remove small amount of metal from caliper were it rubbed on spokes just enough to clear by a couple of millimeters hope this helps.

Suby Rebel

Thanks guys, I had considered grinding the caliper as well, just wasn't sure if that was the safe rout to go, I haven't looked them over that well, so I wasn't sure on how meaty they are in that area. I think I'l try that first and the go with washers if thats a nogo. It dosen't seem like much would have to be removed to make them fit. I've got to do a read wheel bearing too, so I can take care of it while the whole thing is in the air.