Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi ya’ll

I’m wondering how feasible it is to put a 1 1/2 to 2” ‘lift kit’ on a 1998 Subaru legacy outback? If so, where did you find the parts and how much, more or less, did it cost? Are there any potential problems to consider?

Can this be done without changing the steering column and would the stock struts work?

Someone on another Suburu board mentioned Scorpion kits. Has anyone here had experience with them and their product?

Also, I'm no mechanic so I was thinking of ordering the kit and having my local Subaru mechanic install it ... is that something any Subaru mechanic should be able to do properly?

Thanks!

gringorio

I have a 97 OBW. I installed the Scorpion springs and a set of KYB GR-2 struts. It gave about an inch & a half to two inches of lift. It doesn't seem to have put too severe an angle on the CV joints, and I haven't had any issues at all since I did it almost three years ago. My struts needed replacing at the time, but the stock ones will work. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! Did you order your kit directly from Scorpion or is there a dealer in the States?

I have a 97 OBW. I installed the Scorpion springs and a set of KYB GR-2 struts. It gave about an inch & a half to two inches of lift. It doesn't seem to have put too severe an angle on the CV joints, and I haven't had any issues at all since I did it almost three years ago. My struts needed replacing at the time, but the stock ones will work. Good luck.

The struts don't do any lifting, but they are a good upgrade.

Personally, I really dislike spring lifts, since they decrease downtravel/articulation, and without locking diffs, as soon as one tire gets light or lifts off the ground, you are stopped unless you use lots of momentum.

OK, this is a quote from another forum:

"scorpion lift springs sure will give you close to 2" lift on stock struts, I've them in person and they look really nice, otherwise you need the lifting blocks/spacers, and all that jazz"

Based on this comment and those above, it sounds like the lift springs will achieve the 2" lift without needing a full lift kit?

If I am doing this, should I upgrade the struts as well? If so, what recommendations do you have (the uses will be city, highway, then rough dirt roads...not fast, just getting from A to B)? And, for that kind of use, is 2" adequate?

thanks!

gringorio

IMHO the stiffer springs made the handling better and did not cause any great decrease in ride comfort. The Outback isn't a true 4X4 it's true, but it is very capable within it's designed uses. I went with the lift because some of the roads I have to travel get pretty rutted and I don't like the screech of under-carriage on rocks & dirt. It's all about what you need your car to do.

• 8 years later...