Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat tailgate... its supposed to open right?

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out how the tail gate is supposed to open on my 78 Brat. The handle lifts and I can feel it move some stuff around in there, but it wont open. Any ideas, or pictures of tail gate inards would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Yes, it should open. When you lift the handle DON'T pull on the handle. It's made from white metal and WILL snap off :(

Lift the handle and hold it up with one hand and with your other hand on the top of the gate, push the gate away from you, then pull toward you really hard.

If it still doesn't open, try wiggling it back and forth a few times with the handle up.

If that doesn't work, there's an access panel toward the top of the inside of the tailgate. Unscrew the 4 screws and make sure all the stuff is connected.

Ok this is a common problem on Gen 1 Brats. All 5 I have had all had the same problem. If it won't open the cables that open the latches on the tailgate are stretched out. Take off the access cover. List up on the tailgate latch and watch how the innards work. This will show you what to do to open it. Once you see the direction they are moving reach both your hands inside the tailgate and pull in the directions that the latch is pulling the 2 cables. Keep pulling until the tailgate comes open. In order to stop this you need to compensate for the stretched cables. you will need to remove both of them and cut a little notch out of them. That will give you more room to adjust them. That is where the screw hold it to the latch. Use a small cut off wheel or a dremel to cut out little parts. After that reinstall them and make your adjustments. It will work like brand new!:D