Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX making a scary sound...

well, i was hoping it would be making a scary sound through a catless downpipe and HKS exhaust.. but this is different..

what kind of noise does a distributor make when its on its way out.. do they knock?? ... i hope its not a rod, not at 155k..

the noise is only audiable at idle, or when slowly revving the motor, just barley bumping the gas - kinda like a loose rod, but

if it WAS a rod, if held at a constant rpm then loading the motor, it would knock... but this only knocks when revving the motor slowly, at constant rpms, theres no knock... ehh, sorry for the long winded stuff, but - maybe the motor just sounds like that...

im used to the sounds of nissan vg30's, very tight bottom ends..

any ideas?

It could be a very small rod knock that you could only hear at low rpm's. Once the rpm's are higher the engine noise may drown out a small knock. Well, I guess you'll know if/when it gets worse. When the engine is toast and you can't find a new one in Tx, I want the body kit. Boz

i was digging full my cars previous owners service records, and towards the end - it listed "distributor knocking" and timing belt noise... god, please dont be a rod... that would be horrible...

i of course wouldnt buy a junkyard motor, when i can rebuild this one for pretty cheap, with nice strong internals.. but I really dont want it to come to that..:(

Its possible for the distributor to knock if the bushings are bad, but its generally not as 'sharp' of a sound as a rod knock..

if its a rod knock and you don't want to deal with it, let me know.. I always wanted an RX and I have an 88 EA82T sitting here....

Originally posted by calebz

Its possible for the distributor to knock if the bushings are bad, but its generally not as 'sharp' of a sound as a rod knock..

if its a rod knock and you don't want to deal with it, let me know.. I always wanted an RX and I have an 88 EA82T sitting here....

i should say.. you can BARELY hear it... its not sharp at all, its acutally more of a thump.. and sometimes its loud, sometimes you cant hear it... its gotta be the distributor, any way to check?

Originally posted by Dennis ex24

could be a rod though not very likely...

timing belts will also give off a faint, audible tap and EA82s were also known to have piston slap.

i wouldnt worry about it - subaru has always made noisy engines and most of the time the noises you hear are normal

yeah if i go to 4000rpms, hold it - no noise.. smooth, but if i barely rev it from that point, its like you hear a very paint grrr.. grrrr...

like a rod, but not.. guess its just normal sounds... it just worries me. whats piston slap? .. im not familiar with that term..

Piston slap is when the piston to cyl wall clearance is a tad too much...and the piston tends to "wiggle" in the cyl. EJ25's seem to be bad for this, but I never noticed, and it never seemed to be bad. Sometimes, pistons are like that on purpose, they slap when they are cold, but whem they are warmed up, they dont slap, they expland due to heat, and have proper clearance.

well if it is a rod, you can send the car my way :brow:

my 84 hatch is doin the same thing... i know its a totally diff engine, but your description sounds the same as mine is doin.. i noticed mine when the exhaust got fixed...

i figured if it was a rod i could rev it up to redline and hold it and it shoulda gotten worse.... but damn after 5 min at redline, its still teh same ole knock.. sometimes its there, sometimes it not.. cold, warm doesn't matter.. on top of that my lifters rattle like they are gonna fall out ( i think the mmo is cleanin it out) but over all that lifter rattle i can still hear the gremlin beatin on the inside of the engine with a hammer..

so i figure mine will need an engine here soon, but i'm gonna drive it till it pops.. i figure the more miles i get outa it the better i'll feel about just buyin the thing :banghead:

I was haveing a problem with a knocking sound similar to yours. I ioslated the noise with a mechanics stethascope to the distributor. Turns out that my driver side timing belt was lose and the cam was wipping back and forth as it went though the lifting of the valves and so on.

Check for the knock around the disty or check the belts for looseness. Hope this helps

its the dissy making noise, i can feel it when i touch it...

changed the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires while i was in there..

some idiot stripped the screw out on the rotor, so I had to yank it out to get the screw off.. it seemed fine, not loose at all... maybe it is the timing belt... would that echo down the camshaft to the dissy? cuz i hear something... lol maybe the gears are rough..

but a loose timing belt would make a knocking sound eh?

guess ill take it apart!

:banghead:

let me know what you find too!

Bean