Ultimate Subaru Message Board

me and a friend

my friend and i are thinking about try to shoe in a 4 or 6 clynder moter into a 1989 gl. and using the d/r tranny thats in it. had this been done or can it be done. he want to put a 327 small block in. i don't think there enough room for it. whats ya all think?

Sounds pretty cool.One thing you would be limited to is the weight.That is the one down side.I thing you would be better of with a larger displacement suby motor.Maybe a ER27 or EG33.

A 327 would be very interesting, especially during a quick stop, when the car would probably nose over, isince the weight of the engine would be significantly farther forward and higher than stock. But why not a 350 or a 383?

There's at least one guy on the board who's put a ER27 (XT-6 motor) in a GL, and EJ22 conversions are somewhat common. Some have put in turbocharged EJ motors (search for SuberDave). So there might be better alternatives to a SBC. I love the SBC; I've built lots of them and I have a 70 Chevy pickup that's getting a SB400. I just don't think the GL wagon is a good candidate for one.

thats about what i though. he going to hate this because i was right and he wasn't. mainly because hes the ace man. at a checy dealer ship over here. but he don't know a damn thing about imported cars. i can't wait to tell him. if he decides to a head with i will keep you all post. i will try to get pic is i can.

If you could cut a big hole for the V8 in the floor of the back of the Suby (assuming it's a wagon) then have some beefy square piping welded to the unibody to hold it in place, and you could figure out how to connect that to your transmission from behind, that would be cool. You'd have a better weight distribution, and you could say "Hey, check out the V8 in my Subaru". OK, bear with me here. It possible to make gears 1-5 be reverse gears, so that you could mount the transmission backwards, then plug it into the forward facing rear of the V8, for a mid engine 4WD setup? does that make sense? it does in my brain. I guess with all the work needed for that you might as well just put a Suby shell on a Suburban frame and call it good!

i think this has been brought up many, many, many times before. sure it would be nice, but why? with gas prices the way they are, you want to throw some prehistoric carbuerated, pushrod activated dinosaur under your suby's hood? dont get me wrong, im all for innovation and creative ideas, but a god darned V-8? you could find a way to throw a 400R or turbo350 tranny behind that motor to handle the power, and convert to rwd and live rear-end out of a nova or someting....but when you're all done....it will be fast as greased crap, but you wouldnt have a suby anymore. try baby steps, like a ER27, or EJ22. those are both good starting points.....and tell bow-tie boy that pushrods are ghey.

~Josh~