Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Outback CD changer problem...

I own a 2003 LLBean Edition Outback

Today, as I was driving into work, I had a CD changer FULL of CDs (all 6 slots). Anyway, disc 3 was playing and when I pressed eject so I could take the disc with me, the CD wouldn't come out. I tried repeatedly, but the "3" simply blinks and nothing happens. Now, not only can I not eject ANY of the CDs, none will play either. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how I can salvage my CD discs?

This is not my week for Subarus. This happens on top of the fact my front brake pads are in need of replacement for the 4th time, even though the car only has 31,000 miles!!:banghead:

Actually a similar thing happened to me in my 2003 Forester. You probably have a "nicer" stereo than I, however my problem with the CD player was that I would put the cd in and it would spit it out. Try another cd-same thing... it would suck it in.. try to spin and spit it out ... what did I do? Left it alone for 3 days -threaten to replace it -(And I told it so!) looked at other decks and then tried to put another CD in it and it took fine.

(I think the trick was telling it that he was going to be replaced)

This happened to me at about 25.000 miles.

If I were you, I would find the nearest Friendly Subaru Dealership and have them order you a new one... its covered under your warrenty. When they replace it, you (or they) should be able to dismantle the player and pull your discs out.

As for your brakes... uggg... Hard driving took out the pads in my 1993 automatic Legacy every 35,000. But 4 times in 31k? are they installing them correctly? Can you take it to another dealership or mechanic? I couldn't tell you about brakes in a 2003 for sure. I started driving a manual shift and my brakes aren't even half shot at 35,000. Makes me happy.

Usually CD players have an emergency release somewhere. Singles had a paper clip hole to push them out. Check the owners manual 1st.

Brakes: I have the 03 limited wagon the same oversized rotors and pads as yours. I have had the rotors cut 2 x and replaced once on the front. Document it with SOA so the warrenty clock resets each time its done. I have started to use Auto 3 to help with the braking duties and attempted to smooth out my driving. But coming around the bend on the Wash beltway and jumping on the brakes is just to much for these brakes to handle evidently. As they heat up I can feel the vibration. PITA considering the car is so nice. Oh well compromise.

Cant help with the CD player but I also have a '03 LL Bean I use for work every day. I bought it in Feb and have over 20,000 on it already and outside of a squeak or 2 from the brakes I have had no problems. They were checked at my last oil change at the dealership and the mechanic who'm I trust he has worked on my last scooby also, says they have about 75% life in them. Sounds like something is mechanicaly wrong like a caliper sticking or something. Might wont to try another deallership.:wave: