Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check Engine help

Guest kvaleras

Hi all!

I own a '95 Legacy L Sedan.

About a couple of days before the ``Check endgine'' light came on. It was there almost a day, then turned off. After that it's like a random number generator. Right now it's off, but I bet it'll be on tomorrow.

So, I have the following questions.

1) Is there any way to read ECU codes without a scanner?

2) How can I reset the ECU?

Thanks a lot!

Val.

Guest dormat925

If there is an auto zone in your area they will scan it for free and reset the computer some carquests do to. the CE light came on in my 96 outback when the egr valve vacuum hose fell off the guy at auto zone scanned popped the hood put the hose back on and reset the computer no charge.

to reset the computer yourself unplug the negetive battery terminal for a half hour. then start it up let it idle for 15 minutes then take for a really nice drive around block like you are breaking it. shut it off then drive it like normal.

Guest Caboobaroo

usually it'll tell you in a service manual like Haynes or Chitons how to pull the codes off and figure out whats wrong. Like Doormat said, pull off the negative battery cable to reset it but usually, when you pull the codes off, the computer will reset itself

Guest Legacy777

you need a scan tool for the 95+ legacies to get codes.

autozone or other big name chain auto stores will do this usually. They are technically not supposed to clear the codes...but you can do the battery dance after you fixed the problem.

Guest kvaleras

Thanks all for the advice!

I decided to reset the computer (do I did), and, if ``check engine'' turns on again, then I'll go to Autozone. I fluched the codes 3 days ago, and so far so good.

Val.