Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Setting off alarm when opening door w/ key?

:-\ I recently bought an '06 Baja, and have a question regarding the alarm. When I lock the vehicle, it activates the factory alarm. If I attempt to unlock the vehicle using the key in the door (instead of the remote fob) the alarm goes off when I open the door. It will not go off if I use the remote fob.

Is there a way to change the alarm 'setting' so that when I lock the vehicle (activating the alarm in the process), I can still use my key manually in the door lock without setting off alarm? I would like to have my alarm active, but would like to be able to manually unlock door without setting off the alarm!

I read the owners manual, and found how to deactivate the alarm completely, but I still want my alarm to be active. I couldn't find anything regarding manual key entry without setting off alarm. Anybody have a clue as to how to get around this problem, or is this just the way it's going to be?

Another question- I notice that the doors don't automatically lock when starting up and driving vehicle. Seems odd as my last 3 vehicles would lock when started (anti car jack protection). They were Dakota pickup, Mazda Protege, and Toyota Camry. Seems strange that Subaru (suppose to be some of the safest cars made) does not lock when started or start driving. Is there a way to set it up to lock when started?

Thanks in advance for any response, I appreciate it!

:headbang: Spacinjason

I think that is just the way it is, unfortunatly. Not a good design IMO.

Being in the auto repair business I have got into the habit of using keys to lock and unlock cars. That way when I lock the car with the key I won't acidently lock the key in the car. Hard habit to break. The new Subarus get me all the time. And when a customer drops their car of and takes their key off the key ring and doesn't leave the remote..........well lets just say it can be a real PITA. IMO car alarms are worthless. I have seen motor cycles or other vihicles with loud exhaust go down a street and set of alarms on a whole line of cars, funny thing, nobody runs out into the street to check and see if their car is being stolen.:rolleyes:

:headbang:Thanks for the responses. I first discovered the 'problem' after I had a spare key made and checked to see if it worked in door and ignition. I have since discovered that if you set off the alarm, you can put key in ignition and turn on and off three times. That will turn alarm off.

It does seem like a strange design:confused:

Spacinjason

:headbang:Thanks for the responses. I first discovered the 'problem' after I had a spare key made and checked to see if it worked in door and ignition. I have since discovered that if you set off the alarm, you can put key in ignition and turn on and off three times. That will turn alarm off.

It does seem like a strange design:confused:

Spacinjason

Ya, that works to disarm the newer ones, but it is still inconvenient not being able to unlock your door with your key without the alarm going off.