Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Uber-getto snorkel

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,392 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

Im so close to installing my weber I can taste it!!!im having some issues with the throttle cable being a little to short and the opening on the circular thinge on the throttle cable being to small(mounts to carb,connected to cable) I'll file it so it fits..

now for the getto bit. Im far to cheap to pay for the $270 snorkel top for the weber so I got myself an old gallon sized tin can.I have tin snips and a 2 1/4" hole saw in the garrage.I figure I can cut the can so it will bolt up to weber then drill a hole for 2 1/4" pvc tubing.all sealed up with silicone!!!!:banana: :banana:
so is that getto or has someone done better?
edit:it is not done yet.I have to fix above mentioned issues..

btw is ok to have a cone filter on the end of snorkel(near the roofline) if not I could stick another can on it to make a hoddie!

#2 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:39 PM

As far as the bellcrank (that's the part on the throttle shaft that the cable attaches to) I used my original and modified it to fit the Weber. It works really well.

#3 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,392 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

so to get a little extra length in the cable detach it from the firewall and get a clip to hold the cable 1/2" away from the firewall for more line right?

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

I've seen many people with cone filters up on the roof. just make sure to extend the hose back away from the windsheild a bit and put a sheild over the top/front to help prevent rain problems.

#5 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

On one of my previous subies the filter was exposed, but it had a hood on it, however the front of the element was exposed, so when i was moving forward in the rain it picked up water which is no good at all.

Make sure to have the opening facing down, really, people don't seem to listent when i say this, and then have to change their design after the first rain 6 months later.:horse:

#6 SOOBOUTLAW

SOOBOUTLAW

Junkyard Junkie

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • EVERETT

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:03 AM

If the opening is facing down, the water deflecting off the windshield would be splashed into the opening? I've done quite a bit of deep water driving, but I have the stock air cleaner, haven't made my snorkel yet, nor sucked water either for some strange reason. This dude i went 4By'n with in a GMC truck kept sucking mass water in his motor and he had more clearance than me and I drove through the same stuff he did and I stayed bone dry!!?? I bet he never expected my rig to outperform his!!:clap:

#7 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:23 AM

If the opening is facing down, the water deflecting off the windshield would be splashed into the opening? I've done quite a bit of deep water driving, but I have the stock air cleaner, haven't made my snorkel yet, nor sucked water either for some strange reason. This dude i went 4By'n with in a GMC truck kept sucking mass water in his motor and he had more clearance than me and I drove through the same stuff he did and I stayed bone dry!!?? I bet he never expected my rig to outperform his!!:clap:

I dont know about GMC trucks, but my jeeps airfilter box inlet came all the way to the front, and was on the side of the grill halfway down, if the gmc is anything like that its gonna suck water in way easy. I had my jeep down in california shortly after I got my jeep and I was crossing a stream to get to a beach, it was deeper than I thought it was, but it only came about up to the bumper, but it sucked water right on the approach and I immediately shut it off... fortunately I had enough momentum to get far enough to get the nose out of the water. Other than jeeps being POS, that right there was one of the worst things about my jeep, I never really took it through many water crossings after that. Maybe his GMC was setup the same way?

as for a snorkle, I think the best way is have it facing down and to the back if you want it to stay dry, although creating a scoop for it facing forward might feature some kind of gain :-)

#8 Tbird Man

Tbird Man

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Boone

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, my old '88 Bronco II had the air inlet behind the front bumper and I stalled that a couple times crossing a flooded low water bridge near my house. that gets alot of people who buy SUVs in trouble, assumeing they can cross deeper water than the truck will allow. as for the snorkle, the best way to avoid water is to put the hose through the firewall and into the cabin. and don't forget to extend the exaust in case you stall in water and flood the exaust and/or engine (particularly easy on a boxer engine)

#9 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:47 PM

Hey, check out what my bro done with his Fiat X1/9, he calls it the MILO can mod. You americans prolly don't know what Milo is, well its a bloody good chocolate drink!
http://roger.beverle...tures: Pre 2005

#10 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:05 AM

You americans prolly don't know what Milo is, well its a bloody good chocolate drink!
http://roger.beverle...tures: Pre 2005

please explain this 'drink' =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users