Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am tired of having my sirius reciever on my windshield. I am thinking about mounting it to the right of the stock radio, maybe higher. I am just wondering if any one has custom mounted a satelitte radio. I have been playing with the thought for awhile now, just haven't gotten to any hands on toying. I figure I could find a bolt under the center console near the front or maybe a bolt in back of the dash that i could extend a bracket from?? Just looking for ideas. Cant wait till its warm on a day off so I can get at it.

i custom mounted mine on top the dash next to the GPS.

i made a mount using polymer clay (sculpey) that you bake in the oven to harden, then i used the Garmin Gps adhesive mounts. the temporary to stick the mount to the dash, the permanent to stick the sat radio to mount.

pictures of GPS mounts in "off topic"

Garmin GPS, or GPS in general...Mounts

This is how I had my Sirius mounted in my Impreza, I've switched to XM but it’s mounted about the same. Took a straight piece of mettle($.75 at Home Depot) Drilled some holes and bent it up so it attaches next to the radio. Ran the antenna from the back through the trim, and spliced the 12v power supply in. Took probably about an hour to finish.

100_9136.jpg

Also, if by any chance you are in the mood to replace the factory radio, a number of units come satelite ready and the receiver gets buried under the dash and there is lots of room there.

Ted

the 2nd way is pretty much exactly what i wanted to do.....Why did u switch to xm?? where did u screw the metal bracket in (on the car)??

Metal braket is screwed in where the AC/heat controls screw into the dash, it kind of sits on top. I'm probably going to re do some wires and will try to get a pic up this week if you'd like. Switched from Sirius to XM mostly for baseball when I'm on the road. Had sirius for a year and a half and really enjoyed it, but I'm loving being able to listen to the Nationals when I'm not in the DC area. Both definitly have their Pros and Cons.

yea i can see why you switched if your a baseball fan. I like baseball, but 1) cant listen to a baseball game 2)big Stern + NFL fan.

I am contimplating the idea of getting a new headunit, prolly a alpine, although i am a huge supporter of premier. Unemployment is 2weeks away so I gotta go the cheap route. I am thinking of running the bracket from behind the dash - up from the floor.