Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 96 legacy outback - Automatic. for the last year or so i've been having random starting problems. It only occurs in warmer weather. it always starts up for the first time without issue, but if i drive for some distance and try to restart, it's dead. no clicking, no trying to turn over. nothing! this also happens over short distances when a lot of restarts are required. this problem rarely happens in the winter. I have had the battery replaced and the starter rebuilt. neither has resolved the issue. any ideas???

thanks

Well, it seem heat related, and I would suspect the starter (solenoid part), because the resistance in the windings goes 'way up with heat, and it won't give enough field to pull the primary contacts closed.

So I say starter.

I have a 96 legacy outback - Automatic. for the last year or so i've been having random starting problems. It only occurs in warmer weather. it always starts up for the first time without issue, but if i drive for some distance and try to restart, it's dead. no clicking, no trying to turn over. nothing! this also happens over short distances when a lot of restarts are required. this problem rarely happens in the winter. I have had the battery replaced and the starter rebuilt. neither has resolved the issue. any ideas???

thanks