Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird 85 gl-10 turbo problems (long)

Alright, I've been slowly fixing a 86 gl10 turbo and now I am left with 2 problems which I can't seem to fix so some advice would be nice.

First, on the digital dash.

The temperature gauge behaves normally only if the blower fan for the heater is turned off (the off button is pressed).

When the blower is on the temp gauge starts to climb, about 10-15 sec per division, till it gets to the red marks and stays there.

The car is not overheating. If I turn the fan off the gauge slowly returns to normal (aprox 30 sec).

Both the temperature sensors seem to work fine.

Second problem is my heater.

Basically selecting defrost blower works only if the car is idling or in Park. Once the engine is in drive and the rpm's go above 1800 or so the vent goes back to just flowing out of the "front vents"

Also there is a hissing notice coming form the control unit of the heater (the box behind the, off, ac, heat, def buttons). This is most noticeable when the OFF position is selected. This hiss also goes away at 1800rpm or so (once again only in drive, you can rev it up in park and it works just fine)

So I wanted to check if the vacuum hose is connected correctly in the engine compartment. So if anyone can tell me the routing of the hose starting at the white canister to the engine, it would be very appreciated.

Sorry of the very long message, and any help is very appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

The problem you experience with the digidash is normal. I have installed an aftermarket guage to read engine temp. Problem solved.

The hissing? Vac leak. I dont know the exact routing if the vac line for the a/c heat stuff...Id just trace it....so get to tracing!

Seriously, I think that maybe the actuator for the def/bilev/a/c/ac max and all is maybe leaking. I dont know where thats at, seeing as I have not been inside that stuff yet.

edit: Hey, im over 2000 posts!!!!!