Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weird 85 gl-10 turbo problems (long)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pm128

pm128

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • sea town

Posted 22 October 2003 - 06:44 PM

Alright, I've been slowly fixing a 86 gl10 turbo and now I am left with 2 problems which I can't seem to fix so some advice would be nice.

First, on the digital dash.

The temperature gauge behaves normally only if the blower fan for the heater is turned off (the off button is pressed).

When the blower is on the temp gauge starts to climb, about 10-15 sec per division, till it gets to the red marks and stays there.

The car is not overheating. If I turn the fan off the gauge slowly returns to normal (aprox 30 sec).

Both the temperature sensors seem to work fine.

Second problem is my heater.

Basically selecting defrost blower works only if the car is idling or in Park. Once the engine is in drive and the rpm's go above 1800 or so the vent goes back to just flowing out of the "front vents"

Also there is a hissing notice coming form the control unit of the heater (the box behind the, off, ac, heat, def buttons). This is most noticeable when the OFF position is selected. This hiss also goes away at 1800rpm or so (once again only in drive, you can rev it up in park and it works just fine)

So I wanted to check if the vacuum hose is connected correctly in the engine compartment. So if anyone can tell me the routing of the hose starting at the white canister to the engine, it would be very appreciated.

Sorry of the very long message, and any help is very appreciated.

Thanks
Peter

#2 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:13 PM

The problem you experience with the digidash is normal. I have installed an aftermarket guage to read engine temp. Problem solved.

The hissing? Vac leak. I dont know the exact routing if the vac line for the a/c heat stuff...Id just trace it....so get to tracing!

Seriously, I think that maybe the actuator for the def/bilev/a/c/ac max and all is maybe leaking. I dont know where thats at, seeing as I have not been inside that stuff yet.

edit: Hey, im over 2000 posts!!!!!

#3 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:56 AM

Like WJM said, your first problem is normal.. My 87 does it too. I ran a bunch of extra grounds under the hood and the problem has gotten a lot better

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:38 AM

my temp gauge reads higher with the headlights on. must be that high friction headlight bearing lube i put in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users