Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo upgrade on ebay for EA82, no joke.

WJM

I can't see the serials on it, or I would tell you for sure. If you want a serious upgrade for your EA82 though, lemme tell you the secret.

Take your old RHB5 off, remove in the intake side of the turbo, exposing the compressor. Now remove the compressor. Find yourself an RHB5-2 off a turbo Legacy, early 90's type. Now take off the intake side of the Leg's turbo, both the houseing and compressor, now bolt the Leg's compressor onto the 82's turbo, then put on the Leg's housing, wha Lah, you have have a turbo that puts more boost, but doesn't spool any slower. Now all you have to do is bypass that boost cut problem.

Originally posted by Adam N.D.J.

I can't see the serials on it, or I would tell you for sure. If you want a serious upgrade for your EA82 though, lemme tell you the secret.

Take your old RHB5 off, remove in the intake side of the turbo, exposing the compressor. Now remove the compressor. Find yourself an RHB5-2 off a turbo Legacy, early 90's type. Now take off the intake side of the Leg's turbo, both the houseing and compressor, now bolt the Leg's compressor onto the 82's turbo, then put on the Leg's housing, wha Lah, you have have a turbo that puts more boost, but doesn't spool any slower. Now all you have to do is bypass that boost cut problem.

and have it balanced... right?? :D

Originally posted by Turbone

I would like to know how you balance a turbo?

Rob

well, I dont know the exact procedure, but.. its a good idea to balance it because they do spin at 120,000 rpms + even if its just a little off, at that speed.. it could be a problem..

im sure you could get away with not doing it, but that would imact the life of your turbo's bearings..

bean

cool . if that turbo was designed for a wrx then the exhaust side flange is slightly different than a ea82 turbo ( I tried it once). I have considered doing a wrx turbo swap. but it requires a good deal of fabrication and I need more time/money:-\

adam have you done the legacy turbo hybrid? sounds really cool. I want to know more. sounds easy enough to do.

the Legacy turbo is a VF10. The RHB5 i think is a VF7.

The US WRX is a mitsu TD04, and STi's and others get VF34, and 22's.

The exhaust housing on the VF10 is different than our RHB5's. The exh. housing on that turbo is origonal from the RHB5, it sjust turned the wrong way. I looks like its got a different compressor housing, and it too is turned the wrong way.