Ultimate Subaru Message Board

here's a dum question i guess

hello i was checking my trans fuild today i seen that it needed some, my brat is a manual (4 speed) but it has a dip stick?? i thought only the auto's had dip sticks?? and my maunal did not show a dip stick it just showed the 2 bolts one to drain and the other to fill up ?? whats the deal?? and the oil should be 85 one 20 weight :cornfuzz:

okay subarus with manual transmissions have a check stick on the right side. Automatics have a checkstick for the front diff and another for the transmission itself. The rear diff has the 2 plugs, one to fill and check, the other is a drain.

I found one of those under my hood too!:cornfuzz:

I'd been driving the car for 21 years and never knew it existed:eek:

When I pulled it out it was shiny and new looking..........and dry.......:slobber:

Only a quart and a half low after all that time............. :D

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it used to be.........:temper:

01 Forester, still is...........:burnout:

that reminds me when i stopped in jiffy lube on teh way home when i bought the hatch.. i told him there was a dipstick so fill it through that.. he gave me a :eh: and a :-\ then was like, ookk.. so after he popped the hood (took him 10 min) he pulle dit out and brought it in and said, yup sure anough theres a dipstick.. thats gotta be aftermarket, cause manuals never had'em..

at this point i was tired of his idiocy, and told him just to fill it through the hole he found the dipstick in.. :lol:

I remember the first time I found out that Subarus had a dipstick in the trannies, I was like, "Why can't everyone else have it this way?:cornfuzz: " I love it. Now I can tell if my tranny needs fluid without having to roll around on the ground on my back and be yellin out words like "&^%@^%@!!!!!' or "^@*@*#%^?????!!!!!":brow: