Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Let's Talk XT6 Clutches

Alright, I spent the last hour searching on here and found some useful info, but also a lot of opinion and conflicting information.

I will be installing a GL D/R into a '93 Loyale and wish to use an XT6 clutch for the added clamping force. I understand I will need the clutch and pressure plate. Will I need the XT6 flywheel or will a S/R flywheel work just fine?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the link. I was definately wanting to stick with the EA82 flywheel due to the added weight if at all possible. It sounds like the step difference is so small it's basically negligible. I'll just have my flywheel machined to make it all pretty. Nice to know the Impreza clutches will work with my setup, that means I can get a very nice one. Yay!

Thanks guys.

Jeff=crazy

Really the XT-6 fly weights 19 Lbs

XT Turbo fly weights about 26.

Beat me to it.

BTW, the XT6 flywheel isn't aluminum, it is cast just like all the other ones. The steps are the same on both flywheels.(EA81 is different) The difference is in the the plate and the discs are the same I believe.

Also, who in the heck said the Impreza clutch would work?

It was either me or WJM, or both, as it has the same spline count as the 5MT D/R, the pressure plate is obviously different, as the EJ flywheel doesn't have a step, but the clutch friction material will work, or so a crazy guy in Michigan told me, as he was using it in his T-Wag

xt-6 flywheel = 9lbs

ea82 fly6 wheel = like 15-20 lbs

Holy Crap!!

Is that a magical XT6 flywheel?

Mine weighed in a just over 18 pounds

EA82 (4WD and all turbo) Weighs in around 24 pounds

Hahah.. I suppose I should read the whole thread before posting

I take it the Impreza clutches will not work, Ken? In which case, what is a clutch brand you would recommend for my wagon? I've heard wonderful things from Jamie Thomas about Spec clutches, and it appears they offer a number of applications appropriate for an EA82.

Little trick for you next time - don't tighten the clutch plate - leave it loose so the disc can be moved up and down with your finger, then tighten the plate through the starter hole after it's mounted. I've run into a couple of cheap alignment tools that didn't work, but this method always does.

GD

No offense but...

I have heard this before and it is an incredible waste of time. Unneccessary work and time that could be used for other things. The correct alignment tool and 10 minutes is all that is neccessary to install the engine or trans. You can ask anyone who has seen me install an engine how easy it is to do it the right way. I think you have seen me do one as well Rick.

No offense but...

I have heard this before and it is an incredible waste of time.

agree. 10 minutes you say? that much, i think you're exaggerating! it was so simple the first time i did it i thought for sure i had done something wrong (even posted about it!). so easy, air filters can be trickier to install that the clutch disc!

agree. 10 minutes you say? that much, i think you're exaggerating! it was so simple the first time i did it i thought for sure i had done something wrong (even posted about it!). so easy, air filters can be trickier to install that the clutch disc!

Thats 10 minutes to get the clutch aligned, motor mounts in and the started in and tightened ;)

I take it the Impreza clutches will not work, Ken? In which case, what is a clutch brand you would recommend for my wagon? I've heard wonderful things from Jamie Thomas about Spec clutches, and it appears they offer a number of applications appropriate for an EA82.

What will NOT work is the whole Imp. clutch. What WILL work is the disk. Look up part numbers on clutch sites and you will find that the same numbers are listed for the EA 4wd and the EJ cars (most) - but usually the really sticky versions are only listed for EJ's. No reason why they can't be used on an EA, but the stock hp doesn't require it!!

Thats 10 minutes to get the clutch aligned, motor mounts in and the started in and tightened ;)

That's Sort of right, 10 minutes to align the clutch and install it into the car!

Ideally, you have to be smarter than the tools you're using. Even the generic universal alignment tools work well if used correctly.