Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alignment question - cam bolts

outback_97

On my 97 OBW I'm replacing OEM springs / struts with Scorpion lift springs (2" lift) and KYB GR2 struts. Will I need to get something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/zq772

in order to get the car properly aligned afterwards? I guess I'm wondering if adding the slightly taller / stiffer springs and the stiffer struts makes it necessary to modify anything else for proper alignment. My definition of proper alignment = the car handles normally and doesn't chew through tires rapidly. If I do need something like these bolts it would make the most sense to order it with the struts.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Steve

On my 97 OBW I'm replacing OEM springs / struts with Scorpion lift springs (2" lift) and KYB GR2 struts. Will I need to get something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/zq772

in order to get the car properly aligned afterwards? I guess I'm wondering if adding the slightly taller / stiffer springs and the stiffer struts makes it necessary to modify anything else for proper alignment. My definition of proper alignment = the car handles normally and doesn't chew through tires rapidly. If I do need something like these bolts it would make the most sense to order it with the struts.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Steve

I would say yes (being I do probably 15 alignments a day), because the springs are going to give you more positive camber by forcing the struts down.

As far as "normal" goes, the ride quality will be sacraficed because you are removeing downward suspension travel, and adding stiffer springs, so it will be a more harsh ride.

Your car already has a cam bolt in the top hole. If that isn't enough adjustment then your should be able to get a couple of junk yard cam bolts for the bottom holes. Who ever was doing your alignment would have to be made aware that there were two cam bolts on each side.

I've read in the service manual and elsewhere that the Forester rear camber is not adjustable. I assumed the impreza would be the same?:confused: In that case, I would think that the aftermarket camber bolts would be a good idea.

wierd... my 97 impreza's rear camber is VERY adjustable... when i did up the lift, and got everything back together, i had -2deg on one wheel... until i fixed it... :rolleyes:

it's not adjustable on the strut, it's over on the cross member by the diff, a big ol 'bolt

I don't do alignment work so I'm not real sure how it works. But there is adjustment in both of the lateral links. Adjusting both should change the camber, and adjusting just the front or rear seperatly should change the toe. Like I said I'm not an alignment guy so I don't really know.

I don't do alignment work so I'm not real sure how it works. But there is adjustment in both of the lateral links. Adjusting both should change the camber, and adjusting just the front or rear seperatly should change the toe. Like I said I'm not an alignment guy so I don't really know.

The toe is adjusted through the tie rods (front), and the rear toe is adjustable through the lateral link.

I know the front camber is adjusted through the sturt, and most do come with bolts for factory camber adjustments, I really dont know how the lift affects it.

I do know that it really erks me to spend the 30 mins. setting up the alignment only to find out the person does need a camber kit and doesnt want it, or they just want it "checked" (which is free at NTB), than doesnt want to pay for the adjustment.

As for the rear camber I cant remember how the Subaru's adjust. I think there a cam in the trailing arm that you turn, but I am not %100 sure on that.

The rear only has one lateral link. Ao adjusting the length of the rear lateral link with the inboard adjuster affects toe primarily.

The toe is adjusted through the tie rods (front), and the rear toe is adjustable through the lateral link.

I know the front camber is adjusted through the sturt, and most do come with bolts for factory camber adjustments, I really dont know how the lift affects it.

I do know that it really erks me to spend the 30 mins. setting up the alignment only to find out the person does need a camber kit and doesnt want it, or they just want it "checked" (which is free at NTB), than doesnt want to pay for the adjustment.

As for the rear camber I cant remember how the Subaru's adjust. I think there a cam in the trailing arm that you turn, but I am not %100 sure on that.

Ther is no adjustment in the trailing arm on a Subaru. Adjusting the length of a trailing arm would not change the camber anyway.

OK, so I had to read the manual. Only the rear most lateral link has adjustment. According to the '98 OB FSM, that is used to adjust toe and trust angle. There isn't any factory adjustment for rear camber. So if doing a suspesion lift you will probably need cam bolts for the rear in order to get the camber right.

OK, so I had to read the manual. Only the rear most lateral link has adjustment. According to the '98 OB FSM, that is used to adjust toe and trust angle. There isn't any factory adjustment for rear camber. So if doing a suspesion lift you will probably need cam bolts for the rear in order to get the camber right.

Thanks for confirming that!

Sounds like maybe I should get a set of these just to be safe. OTOH YetiDon has the same type of vehicle as I do and didn't use them... did you check the alignment YetiDon? Is is ok?

The person I'm buying the springs from received the check yesterday, so my springs should be shipping very soon. :banana:

Steve

Sounds like maybe I should get a set of these just to be safe. OTOH YetiDon has the same type of vehicle as I do and didn't use them... did you check the alignment YetiDon? Is is ok?

The person I'm buying the springs from received the check yesterday, so my springs should be shipping very soon. :banana:

Steve

The master tech at my local Subaru dealer was able get it in spec "easily" when I took it in for the alignment. :)