Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale Exhaust issue.

When i bought this car a week ago I was aware the exhaust had slight problems but the aircare is good till september and the car runs great so im not worried about it. But, Id like a driveway fix to this problem if its possible.

I am not car savy at all but I do have a good auto shop in my highschool that might be able to do the dirty work.

It seems when I take a sharp left turn I hear like a metal dragging sound. So I pulled over to look under my car. And noticed the drive shaft going to the rear wheels has a shiny spot on it. Its making contact with the exhaust piping after the second cat towards rear of car. What can I do to fix this issue. Its not affecting anything right now, but I fear if it keeps rubbing it might go through the already weak exhaust system or even worse hurt my drive shaft.

Any suggestions are cool, thanks.

Also, check carefully for rust on the tubing that the rear diff mount to. My 88 rusted to the point that the tube started to twist, lowering the front of the diff, causing it to hit the driveshaft. Initially, it was intermittant, only under certain loading from 4WD. The first time I got under to find the noise, I could not see any way the driveshaft could hit the exhaust where the shiny marks were. Nothing would move far enough by pushing and shoving. A few months later, it was no longer intermittant.:slobber:

Dave

Heres a picture of where I suspect its making contact. The rub marks are obviously from when the 4wd was engaged. But when in 2wd the sound happens when I hard turn left or use my engine brake causing more vibration.

DSCN1119.jpg

DSCN1120.jpg

My thoughts are its the exhaust pipe rattling and hitting against the drive shaft. There is an exhaust leak farther up the pipe that is causing more vibrations also so that would probably escalate the problem right?

Heres a picture of where I suspect its making contact.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3783&stc=1&d=1144984304

post-14516-136027607527_thumb.jpg

(click picture to see big version)

Check the angle that the driveshaft meets the U joint at the diff. The diff should be about horizontal along it bottom. The driveshaft goes up at a slight angle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3783&stc=1&d=1144984451

Dave

• 4 months later...

Interesting point that you bring up. I have been having that problem with my Hatchback. When I put it in 4WD I get this metallic rubbing sound, and I am wondering if this may be my problem. After I take it out of 4WD it will still make the sound for a while, and then it will slowly go away. The back end of the car is rotted pretty good underneath (holes in the floor, framerail on drivers side completely rotted away near the rear shock mount--virtually nothing holding the moustache bar in place on the drivers side). Maybe the the mounting for that metal tube in back is giving from all the rust and allowing the front of the differential to lower and cause the driveshaft to make contact with the exhaust. That sounds like the noise it is making. Anyone else had this problem? Is the rear end of this car getting ready to collapse? I'd hate to be driving this car and it collapse going down the road. Thanks for your help!