Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Solenoid Upgrade info

Nice work!

Any specific models/years to look at when solenoid hunting?

I know that an 86 Toyota sedan had at least one in it.

Whatever carbed sedans they were making around those years should have them. I am pretty sure it was a corolla:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Toyota-Corolla-4-door-sedan-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ4630668107QQcategoryZ6445QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When I got married, my wife had the Toyota. My 78 Subie was getting to the point of too rotten and started making bad noises from the transmission. We bought a 2 year old 90 Loyale. The A/C controls annoyed me because the selector forces you to draw in fresh air unless you choose A/C MAX. I saw the nice little solenoids in the Toyota, bought one from a dealer. Connected it to a switch on the dash, mounted on hte blanks to the left of the speedo. The solenoid selects fresh air / recirculated air. When the EGR solenoid failed I thought of the Toyota one that was still working. That's when I went to the junkyard. Not long after that, we sold the Toyota - we could never get it to run right - and bought the 86 Subie. I eventually sold the Toyota manual also.

Dave

Dave nice work.

I would just like to add that

late eighties/ early 90's Hondas have a black box mounted

amidships (in the center) on the bulkhead (firewall)

This box has about twenty rubber hoses to it.

It contains no less than six of these solenoids.

(Lost count as I have removed so many from mine)

Well done Sir

Can I just buy these premade from your for like $25? :) I am lazy and have no junkyards nearby to get stuff from.

The oem ones I tried always lasted a few years, but the Toyota ones are still going, outlasting cars. I'll see what I can get the solenoid for, but I'll still need a connector from a dead one. The connectors I have are all on Toyota solenoids.

Most cars have similar solenoids. Any with similar sized ports and body should work, you just have to trace out the function. I only know about the reliability of the Toyota and round Honda ones.

Dave