Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Our Forestor (1998 with 129,000 miles) began running slightly rough about a week ago. I've replaced plugs and wires and my wife said it ran better. Yesterday I put in a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank and after about ten miles the engine quit--fortunately just half a mile or so from home. I've been able to get it started for a minute many times only to have it die. This morning it improved dramatically and I took it for a drive up the mountain. I knew I could always coast all the way home if it quit. Ran real good most of the way but when I got home it began to run bad again and now it hardly runs at all. Any suggestions on resolving the problem?

How do you know if it's injector problem?

Have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

We've inspected the fuel filter and it looks good. We are guessing it is injectors since the injector cleaner (Sea Foam) seems to have caused the engine to run even worse immediately after it was put in the gas.

How does one inspects fuel filter?

The standard maintanance is to replace it every 30000 miles and not "inspect" it.

If you follow your logic, why fuel filter would not stop crud from reaching the injectors?

I've put in a new fuel filter. The car runs smoothly for about 10-15 seconds and dies. CEL is not on. So maybe the fuel pump is not working well.

Get you a multi meter (volt meter) and check the coil pact, the details on how to do this is in the Haynes manual it is very easy.

I've put in a new fuel filter. The car runs smoothly for about 10-15 seconds and dies. CEL is not on. So maybe the fuel pump is not working well.