Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loose shifter fix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MachineAgeVictim

MachineAgeVictim

Civilized 4 Wheel Drive.

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

Well my '79 had the plauging loose shifter, *deep breath* so I went through the shifter down to the transmission and diagnosed it to the screw in the shaft coming from the transmission connecting to the shifter through the bracket

so the screw wears at the non-threaded section in the shaft, so the solution would be to find somthing to fill the hole through the shaft better, a larger diameter screw, the stock screw is a 6mm metric screw, so I bought a 7mm at the same length, only problem is the hole is still for a 6mm screw, so I used the 7mm screw to tap through the bracket and shaft, about half way through the shaft SNAP, the screw broke, so, it worked but I'll never get the screw out! oh well

so now the shifter only moves with the shaft from the transmission, while in gear the shifter only moves about 1 inch (25mm) instead of 4+ inches (10cm) :headbang:

#2 MachineAgeVictim

MachineAgeVictim

Civilized 4 Wheel Drive.

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

so is this a problem only I have? or was there another fix that I didnt know about

#3 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:39 PM

this is a very common problem with old soobs, but there is another fix:

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=49954

#4 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:24 AM

This pict shows how I fixed the slop
and
shortened the shift throw
Posted Image

#5 MachineAgeVictim

MachineAgeVictim

Civilized 4 Wheel Drive.

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

nice!! mine looks a little different, my bolt is farther back, where the word "length" is

#6 ls650v

ls650v

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Clinton Twp

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:56 AM

Where do you find the new "gator" shown in the picture? The dealer I talked to said they are no longer available and an independent transmission shop I talked to told me the same thing. Also, how about the bushing at the end of the shifter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users