Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestion where to run a wire for amp through firewall? '00 outback

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ahreno

ahreno

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • eugene, or

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:29 PM

I'm about to put a car computer into my 2000 outback and after a quick look last night, i can't see any places i can run a ~8-10 gauge wire through the firewall. I would really like to avoid drilling a hole, as this is something i've never done. Anyone have any experience in this and can give me some sort idea of somewhere i can squeeze it through?

Thanks much in advance.

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

I'm about to put a car computer into my 2000 outback and after a quick look last night, i can't see any places i can run a ~8-10 gauge wire through the firewall. I would really like to avoid drilling a hole, as this is something i've never done. Anyone have any experience in this and can give me some sort idea of somewhere i can squeeze it through?

Thanks much in advance.

Just run it through any gromit that goes through the firewall. They may look sealed, but they arent. look at the accelerator cable gromit especially, thats where i ran my alwarm wires.

nipper

#3 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:09 PM

Is it an auto?

If so, run it through the hole where the clutch cable would go. Get down under the dash with a flashlight and look above and to the left of the brake pedal, you should see a rubber grommet plugging a hole.

#4 ahreno

ahreno

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • eugene, or

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

nope, its a manual, thanks for the suggestions, i thikn i'm going to try tonight.

#5 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:23 PM

to keep it semi sealed, i cut a slit in one of the rubber things, ran the wires, and then just threw some silicon in the hole to close the gap...

#6 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

When I installed the remote starter in our '00 I ran the power wire thru the grommet right down by the steering column.

I stick an awl thru in the opposite direction, then use the wire to push the awl back out, result - a completely sealed hole.

#7 ctoth

ctoth

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Perkinsville

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

I always ran them through with the throttle cable. Use some zip ties under the dash, and down the channel under the sill plate.

#8 seanski06

seanski06

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • carbon county

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

when i installed driving lights i ran it through the rubber circle thats easiest to find when ur lookin at your engine....i cant remember if it was for the clutch or throttle...i just pulled the rubber thing out pushed the wire through then push the rubber thing back in

#9 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:18 AM

to keep it semi sealed, i cut a slit in one of the rubber things, ran the wires, and then just threw some silicon in the hole to close the gap...

+1.. that's how I ran my wires for magic switch and light switches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users