Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Subaru Brat - Need Parts / Donor Vehicles

Hello.

I've posted this on another thread in the other parts forum. So hopefully, we'll luck out!

We are currently restoring a 1978 Subaru Brat which has historic signifcance and we're looking for parts listed below. We will also consider purchasing donor vehicles with these parts in tact (and in fair/good to excellent condition), preferably in Southern California, but we can arrange for transport depending on location of the vehicle.

If you have any of these parts for a 1978 Subaru Brat, or 1978 Subaru Brat donor vehicles in fair/good to excellent condition, please contact us at a1978brat@hotmail.com

Thank you!

subi1978

Front End

1. Front bumper complete with rubber end caps.

2. Turn signal / Front marker lights complete with chrome bezels. (Both sides)

3. “Subaru” emblem on hood above left side headlights.

4. Grille complete with all emblems. (Refer to attached photo)

Rear of Vehicle

1. Rear bumper complete with rubber end caps.

2. Rear turn signal / brake lights. (Both sides)

3. “Subaru” emblem on tailgate, above license plate.

4. Tailgate release handle.

5. “4 wheel drive” emblem on tailgate, left side bottom corner.

6. “Brat” emblem on tailgate, right side bottom corner.

Rear Glass and Cargo Area

1. Rubber gasket for rear window.

2. Chrome trim around cargo area. Complete with both sides of bed, rear roof, tailgate, and corners.

3. Rear facing seats complete with seat belts and mounting hardware. Must be black color.

Interior

1. Dash cover for top of dashboard. Must be black color.

Wheels

1. Center caps with mounting hardware for 4 wheels.

2. “4WD” splash guards for all 4 wheel positions on the vehicle. I need all mounting brackets and hardware complete. The original splash guards are white with black lettering.

Exterior Body, Sides

1. Plastic filler panels on “B” pillar. (Both sides)

2. Chrome trim around doors, “A” pillar to roof. (Both sides)

3. Front marker lights, amber color. (Both sides)

4. Rear marker lights, red color. (Both sides)

5. Door handles, chrome. (Both sides)

6. Complete lock assemblies. (Both sides including fuel door)

Regarding the historical significance of this mighty little Subaru Brat:

As you may have heard, President Ronald Reagan had a 1978 Subaru Brat.

We were contracted by Subaru of America to do the restoration.

This project has required a significant amount of elbow grease and TLC to restore this vehicle to its former glory.

The parts I listed above are either too damaged to repair or were missing.

Once we've completed the restoration and delivered the vehicle, we hope to have photos and information available on our website chronicling the restoration. I'll be sure to provide the links when they're up.

It's been an awesome undertaking but it's coming along beuatifully and just yesterday, we started up the engine and it purrs like a kitten!

If you have any of the parts or know where we can obtain them, please contact us us at A1978SUBARUBRAT@hotmail.com.

Any assitance anyone can provide in helping us obtain these parts will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

subi1978

Good luck.

So,I guess that tells us exactly how many old badges,etc. the warehouses have left.If SOA isn't supplying those items you have to know that the rest of us will be trying to secure them just as badly.

Some badges and tailgate handles,etc. do show up,and occasionally still new stock.But it's getting slim pickin's.

Please refrain from multiple listings.Thanks.

"That guy" [aka Kevin] is still a contact here at our shop.

As Kevin also noted in his post, we'd love copies of any photos of RR with the Subaru Brat.

And sorry about the duplicate posts on other forums. I'm new to this message board and wasn't sure which forum would be the best suited for parts request so I was attempting to cover my bases.

And thanks for pointing out Kev's posts.

Have a great day!

subi1978

I have a lot of the parts you are looking for. They all came from the 4 78-79 Brats I have parted out. Let me know. Thanks.

Hi Subieguy:

How do we get in touch with you? I sent you a PM.

Thanks!

subi1978

I can attest positively to this project! I helped them out with the BRAT stripes. I worked with Kevin.

I know I have some of the items. I'll have to dig for more. I'm sure you will get most of that fairly easy here.

Let's see some pics!

You can use this part # for the hood SUBARU badge. It's chrome and the same size as the original. Just cut off the 2 plastic tabs. I used these on 4 of mine.

CHROME SUBARU EMBLEM FROM 1990s Subaru # 93060AA010

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

I sent Kevin an email telling him to suggest what he needed and i would tell him if I had it (which i probably do....) but he sent me one requesting a list of what i had.

My stuff isn't for sale, i have parts to build almost an entire 81 D/R 1800 brat, but for such a cool project i would be willing to contribute what i could spare, so I told him i had no list, only a chicken coop full of parts, and i never got any response.

So good luck to him on his projects.

PM Sent.

~Laura.