Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to try and press my front bearing out of the spindle and the new one back in but I need help. I know the hub must be pressed out first, but after that I am lost. Does anyone know where a good link with pictures and details are to do this job?

I swapped the front ones out on my 84 brat and it worked great! To take them out you can pretty much take a wide punch and lightly hammer them out from the opposite side being carefull to work your way around evenly. To reinstall them you could bring them to a machine shop and have them press them into the hub. This is the cheapest and easiest way. I used a ghetto method that would take a hole day to explain. Basicly i just made my own bearing press and lightly tapped them in. Fun stuff if you like doing that, I know I do! Now i need to do my back ones, they have way too much play in them! Good luck!

another option is to take the hub and bearings to a shop/machine shop and have them do it. cheaper than a garage, only i'm touching my car, and they have all the equipment. i feel more comfortable with machine shops than automotive shops, those guys are super technical and know what they are doing. i'd rather a machine shop charge me hourly so he's making the same amount on my wheel bearings than an automotive shop who's just trying to bang out my wheels bearings quick so he can get to his more profitable and easier timing belt job.

my 2 cents if you don't feel like doing this job yourself.

Thank you that link ought to be really helpful. I am going to try but I have a complete spindle and hub assembly with the bearing in it coming by U.P.S. from the wrecking yard just in case I run into trouble.

wow...

you're trying to do a wheel bearing swap on you own? :eek:

hats off to you...

here's a good thread with photos if you have a Legacy or Impreza

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787070&highlight=wheel+bearing

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

We have a little shop here where I can have it pressed in for around 30.00 dollars, but being this car is used for postal del. wheelbearing faliure is something that is fairly regularly so I wanted to learn to do it myself.

another option is to take the hub and bearings to a shop/machine shop and have them do it. cheaper than a garage, only i'm touching my car, and they have all the equipment. i feel more comfortable with machine shops than automotive shops, those guys are super technical and know what they are doing. i'd rather a machine shop charge me hourly so he's making the same amount on my wheel bearings than an automotive shop who's just trying to bang out my wheels bearings quick so he can get to his more profitable and easier timing belt job.

my 2 cents if you don't feel like doing this job yourself.

This sounds like real work, I hope I can get mine to press in without having to make a bunch of things to hold things in place.

I swapped the front ones out on my 84 brat and it worked great! To take them out you can pretty much take a wide punch and lightly hammer them out from the opposite side being carefull to work your way around evenly. To reinstall them you could bring them to a machine shop and have them press them into the hub. This is the cheapest and easiest way. I used a ghetto method that would take a hole day to explain. Basicly i just made my own bearing press and lightly tapped them in. Fun stuff if you like doing that, I know I do! Now i need to do my back ones, they have way too much play in them! Good luck!

Aaahh man:( You took the steam out of my engine. But you are right the brat was easy, once i got through the layers of rusty bolts it was home free with just a little ingenuity. The newer cars do keep it interesting.

84 BRAT is easy

1993 - newer is not so simple.....

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

I had no trouble taking it apart today with the 20 ton press from Harbor Freight, I have not got my bearing yet, it is in the mail this way so I dont know how it will be putting it back together but it dont look bad.

Aaahh man:( You took the steam out of my engine. But you are right the brat was easy, once i got through the layers of rusty bolts it was home free with just a little ingenuity. The newer cars do keep it interesting.

I had no trouble taking it apart today with the 20 ton press from Harbor Freight, I have not got my bearing yet, it is in the mail this way so I dont know how it will be putting it back together but it dont look bad.
Now much was the press? How large is it?

My wife got it for me at Christmas, I think she paid 174.00 dollars on sell. You can go to Harbor Freight web site and see them with the prices. Mine is the 20 ton they also have a twelve ton that would most likely do the bearing. The one I have stands around 6 ft. high and about 2 and a half foot wide. You dont even have to bolt it down it stands well on the feet it comes with. It has a couple of steel plates that come with it, and I added a couple of ten in. 4x4 blocks from the local lumber yard. the links that Jamie left up top here are really good if you need them.

If you want to see them type in shop press on the key word search, if you just type press it brings up some other kinds of press. You will also have to get the bearing seperator they are around 30.00 dollars, and I got a 1and1/2 in couppling from the lumber yard to push the race out but the large sockets would probaly work also.

I need this car for my job, so just in case it dont go well, I have a hub and spindle coming in from the wrecking yard also, and when I go to press the new ones in they may not end up any better then the old ones I took out.

Way to go, tcspeer! Can't wait to hear about how the new bearing goes in.