Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto to 5 speed in progress

It is coming along. The car is a 90 loyale turbo. I have to mod the axles from 4eat to make them fit the 5 speed non turbo from a GL. I was planning on switching doj cups but I thought that maybe the tranny stubs could be switched instead. Is there a difference in the stubs housing to tranny between a 4eat from a 90 turbo and a 5 speed non turbo from an 87 GL.

Thanks

So you are saying that there is an axle that will fit on to the 5 speed non turbo transmission and into the knuckles from my turbo auto? I didnt think there were any. I Have the axles that go with the 5 speed so I figured I would try and make those work instead of dropping 140 bucks on an all new axle set up.

Just switching axles would be a lot easier. 23 spline NA manual axles will fit right in there unless you have done a 5 lug conversion or something.

So you are saying that there is an axle that will fit on to the 5 speed non turbo transmission and into the knuckles from my turbo auto?

Precisely.

Hint: the hubs are the same Turbo to NA EA82 cars. Its only the DOJ end thats different.

I am wanting to know if the tranny stub from my 4eat will it into the trany stub port of my 5 speed, My axles are a different spline count so I would have to go new axles and the ones I have are new.

Precisely.

Hint: the hubs are the same Turbo to NA EA82 cars. Its only the DOJ end thats different.

<----------------Done a couple of 5 speed swaps

I want to replace the tranny stubs as I had to do it on my 4eat and it was very easy. Just one c clip to deal with. So should I just pull on the tranny stubs on the 5 speed as hard as I can to pop them out, or is there another way?\

Thank You aLL

for the sake of complicatedness, I would replace the axles, not the tranny stubs.