Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who's got a winch?

scoobyclimbs

I don't have a winch, but talking with guys who sell them, i'm pretty sure that when i get one i'm gonna go with the M6000 and a multi mount. I'll be nice haveing a bit extra for when i'm pulling my self, and it'll be nice when i'm pulling out bigger rigs than my own.

i to have a come along with a couple tow straps, but the only time i have actually gotten stuck, it was dug to deep to really do much at all. I think a 6000 pound winch would be perfect for a subaru. They sell a 5500 pound winch in harbor freight for like 300 bucks also. Ramsey makes a 8000 pound winch that goes on sale from time to time at 4wheelparts, for 300 bucks also. i just need a bigger alt :)

I am condsidering either the mile-marker 6000, or possibly going with a hydraulic mile marker. They have a really fast line speed and can run off the power steering system.

A come-along is an absolute necessity off-road - and a snatch strap too - both for towing and wincing. Hi-Lift jacks can winch too, but the process is slow like the come-along. Even with a winch the come along is important for holding the vehicle to a specific line while winching.

GD

I've got a tree-saver strap, shackles, and a MM 9000 lb winch with the bumper to match. I would not attempt to pull out other vehicles than my own. The unibody is not built to take that kinda tension. At the moment, it's not the lack of an alternater slowing me down, it's the lack of a good engine under the hood.

i like come alongs myself, because they are easy to control, no getting your hand caught and crushed (yea, it happens)

Yeah, and they help keep your upper body in shape too:-p

I got the bumper, just waiting for the right winch to go on sale.

i've heard double the weight.. so if you have a 2000lbs car, you should have at LEAST 4000# winch. and... i don't think i'd try to lift the car verticle...

1) your fuel pump will become un-immersed, and your engine will die... leaving your alternator to die... and you'll be stuck verticle :rolleyes:

I have the Harbor Freight 9,000 lb winch. Its DEFINITELY overkill, but as a matter of "testing", a friend and I rigged it up to a gantry. We used a short tow strap to get to connections at the rear and ran the winch cable from the front, over a pulley and back down to the tow strap in the rear. And yes...it'll pick the car up vertical, albeit slowly.

i've heard double the weight.. so if you have a 2000lbs car, you should have at LEAST 4000# winch. and... i don't think i'd try to lift the car verticle...

1) your fuel pump will become un-immersed, and your engine will die... leaving your alternator to die... and you'll be stuck verticle :rolleyes:

Actually you are close. As specified by WARN winches, a good winch should be 1.5 * the heaviest vehicle you will be winching weighs. For a Suby, all you need is a 4000lb winch, if you only plan on winching your self..

As far as winching without a running car, your winch will winch you aways on a battery if it electric..car running or not. A hydraulic winch ONLY works when the car is running to pump the fluid. If the car stops running (hydrolocked maybe) you loose your ability to winch now. A battery operated one will still pull though.

Actually you are close. As specified by WARN winches, a good winch should be 1.5 * the heaviest vehicle you will be winching weighs. For a Suby, all you need is a 4000lb winch, if you only plan on winching your self..

As far as winching without a running car, your winch will winch you aways on a battery if it electric..car running or not. A hydraulic winch ONLY works when the car is running to pump the fluid. If the car stops running (hydrolocked maybe) you loose your ability to winch now. A battery operated one will still pull though.

My outback is the heaviest gen they've made yet('00-04) my '03 tank...

The new gen '05-up is much lighter.

I'm well over 4,000lbs! so a 6,000lb winch is good

Mate that with a yellow top D35 optima and I'll be ok....

My outback is the heaviest gen they've made yet('00-04) my '03 tank...

The new gen '05-up is much lighter.

I'm well over 4,000lbs! so a 6,000lb winch is good

Mate that with a yellow top D35 optima and I'll be ok....

Sounds like you got it.

I'm using a HF $39 (sale) #2000 winch. I have a snatch block to double my effective pulling power to #4000.

It's cheap, small and effective. I don't intend on lifting my car, just encouraging it to move in a direction it didn't want to go...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=32&cat=500&ppuser=584

Having said all that, a Quality come-a-long is a great low weight, low cost solution to moving your car in a given direction...(Note: I have folded up several cheap #2000, come-a-longs trying to pull things)

I am condsidering either the mile-marker 6000, or possibly going with a hydraulic mile marker. They have a really fast line speed and can run off the power steering system.

A come-along is an absolute necessity off-road - and a snatch strap too - both for towing and wincing. Hi-Lift jacks can winch too, but the process is slow like the come-along. Even with a winch the come along is important for holding the vehicle to a specific line while winching.

GD

hydraulic winches are cool, except when u drown ur soob, your fixing it in the mudhole..:rolleyes: