Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to replace axle on my GL¿¿¿ HELP

i was recently in a minor accident involving a curb and a high rate of speed that resulted in my pass. side front wheel pushed all the way back to the fender.:banghead: :banghead: OUCH!!

i got lucky though, because that arm thing that connects right next to the moustache bar that sits under my tranny (forgive me, i don't know the part name) was all bent to hell, but the housing is untouched. that bar got bent horribly and my control arm (i think thats what its called) i bent too of course.

but back to the point, how exactly do i change that axle out. it is broke at the CV or whatever it is called. it's the piece right next to the tranny. it broke off of that silverish drum looking thing.

as always, any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Not exactly sure which thingy you broke, but if it's in the rear of your car you can pound out the retaining pin on each end of your CV axle and drop the diff (3 bolts). This will allow you to remove your CV and put in another. Simple.

Guys on the board say you can do it in 10 minutes:D

Hope that helps.

SLOW Down!

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it used to be......:temper:

01 Forester, still is..................:burnout:

ok well its not your CV thats broken. The CV is the outer joint nearest the wheel. The inner joint is known as the DOJ. Between the DOJ and the tranny, you'll see the axle stub with the axle mounted on it. There will be a pin but look closely, there is a difference on which way it comes out. If you jack the wheel up off the ground and put the car in neutral and take the parking brake off, you can rotate the wheel so you can find the hole that the axle pin is in. One side will have a little bevel along the hole but the other side will be completely flat (no bevel). The side that has the bevel on it is the side you want the pin to come out.