Ultimate Subaru Message Board

possible area for me to offroad...maybe

subie94

download.jpg

i guess i should wait to post this when i find out if my legacy will be able to get onto the trails but....there's a bunch of atv trails that looks like my legacy would fit on are with-in the red line . went in today on my brothers mountain bike to check it out.only two problems are that the main entrance is near a residential area and there's two large bolders placed on the main trail.(one is on one side and the other is placed about 20-30 feet away on the other side of the trail)almost like saying that they don't want cars out there.when i was there earier,i saw what looked like to be tire tracks from a truck or other passenger vehica...l

if there's no signs saying "no cars allowed" would you enter if your subie would fit??

i just don't feel like getting a ticket or worse.....i guess i could just say hell with it and give it a try.:D (maybe after a good rain when it's muddy)

My best advise is to use topographical maps to find class 6 roads. These are abandoned roads that are still a public right of way. Noone can do anything about you offroading on them. Look for roads shown by two dashed lines, then follow. Another way to do it leagaly is to go to the town offices, use the tax map to locate the owner of the property you want to wheel on, and ask them if you can. If they say yes, make up a little form giving you permission for them to sign so that the cops can verify you are allowed to be there. Many property owners who have posted no tresspassing land will allow you if you explain what you want to do and are nice about it.

if its posted, and you see any DEC trucks around, don`t go in, if you don`t "see" any posted signs, and no dec trucks around, your golden:D if you get caught, plan on getting a ticket;)

looks like a good spot though, especially for PA, they are few and far in between.if you see any rough deep stuff, it only gives you a reason to lift up the legacy:brow:

75subie-what do you mean by DEC trucks? and i'm definatly gonna be lifting,just don't know when...

this is a topographical map of the area and it shows some class 6 roads but prob is that it's from 1988.i think i'll have to find some updated ones.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/usgsentry.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=19&X=753&Y=11884&W=2&qs=sandy+brook+street%7cmanchester%7cnh%7c

download.ashx?t=2&s=11&x=752:755&y=11885:11883&z=19

91loyale-yah,i'v been meaning to find some topo maps of manchester area(and surounding areas)--i know bad spelling

I don't know about your state, but here, ALL land is considered "posted". Meaning that the moment you leave a public roadway, you are on private property. If that land owner does not like you being there, he/she can have you nailed for trespassing....sign or no sign. As for me, if it's in question: If you don't see anyone around...hit it hard and get the hell out.:headbang:

when i was there the other day,i didn't see one sign at all.matter of fact i came across a guy with his daughter on their atvs,and some guy walking his yapper of a dog....

i meant to stop and ask the guy on the atv and ask him if he knew about the land..

from the looks of the aerial shot ..wondering if ya were 007 in a subie!

yup,hang-glided over the area with my dig cam...:lol:

Be VERY careful about wheeling somewhere you don't know about. Here in MN, if it's public, it's illegal (except the iron range park up in gilbert). and the rules for ATVs and ORVs are very different. There are a ton of places that ATVs are allowed, but ORVs are not.

please don't help the general public reenforce those stereotypes that keep us off the land in the first place. Be better than that. Make sure it's 100% legal, or don't go.

Be VERY careful about wheeling somewhere you don't know about. Here in MN, if it's public, it's illegal (except the iron range park up in gilbert). and the rules for ATVs and ORVs are very different. There are a ton of places that ATVs are allowed, but ORVs are not.

please don't help the general public reenforce those stereotypes that keep us off the land in the first place. Be better than that. Make sure it's 100% legal, or don't go.

i agree with you on the making sure it's 100% legal first.i'm definatly gonna be doing that before doing any test wheeling...

i checked around and i found acouple sites that list legal wheeling trails..they called them multi-use trails (so i assume that it should be ok for me to go down it?,gonna check first) i'm also gonna see if i can find a local 4wheeling club and see where they go.

i'm also gonna see if i can find a local 4wheeling club and see where they go.

This is a great way to find places to go, and people to go with. Typically, the local offroad groups are more than happy to get anybody and everybody who's even a little serious about wheeling to come out with them. I'm a member of the Minnesota Jeep Club, and the North Shore Wheelers (which is primarily Jeeps) here where I live, and frequently go on trail rides with them.

This is a great way to find places to go, and people to go with. Typically, the local offroad groups are more than happy to get anybody and everybody who's even a little serious about wheeling to come out with them. I'm a member of the Minnesota Jeep Club, and the North Shore Wheelers (which is primarily Jeeps) here where I live, and frequently go on trail rides with them.

the one club i tried many yrs ago asked what i had for 4wd,when i told him it was a 86 subaru gl....he paused for a minute and then proceeded to tell me that if i went on a trail ride with the club..i might break something.i have a feeling he was laughing at me on the inside...

:mad:

maybe this time i'll find a group that's more open minded..

the one club i tried many yrs ago asked what i had for 4wd,when i told him it was a 86 subaru gl....he paused for a minute and then proceeded to tell me that if i went on a trail ride with the club..i might break something.i have a feeling he was laughing at me on the inside...

:mad:

maybe this time i'll find a group that's more open minded..

just tell them you're willing to accept that.

or, find one that's based more on an internet forum, like the MN Jeep club. They're real informal, but a great way to meet people, and find what there is available in your area.

just tell them you're willing to accept that.

or, find one that's based more on an internet forum, like the MN Jeep club. They're real informal, but a great way to meet people, and find what there is available in your area.

i found this online group that's located here in New England.they're called NEWJO.although they're mainly jeeps and willys but they except anyone that has the same interest in offroading...membership is only $40 a year

(which i don't have right now) :banghead:

I would have to say i would do it. But im also the guy who was deep in the woods and a cop walked down and busted up our party and first thing i did was jump in my subie and hauled myself up the hill on on a 20 minute journey out of the woods on the other side lol

I would have to say i would do it. But im also the guy who was deep in the woods and a cop walked down and busted up our party and first thing i did was jump in my subie and hauled myself up the hill on on a 20 minute journey out of the woods on the other side lol

i take it you got away?

i'm gonna try an be a responsible 4-wheeler and use legal trails at this point.

that's a great story and all......but in Minnesota anyway, it's a felony, and you could loose the vehicle used.

• 2 weeks later...

I went up the Mountain Loop Highway with my wagon and went past a no tresspassing stencil on concrete block up on a gravel road, got stuck good, then forest service guy comes by and asks if we're ok, then leaves, not even trying to get his "Exploder" to where I got stuck. Wimp.