Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic Shifter Question on a 99 OBW

Yesterday, a friends mom who has a 99 OBW Limited Automatic with 68k on it. She was driving down the road a few weeks ago and noticed that she wasn't going anymore. She looked down and the shifter moved from Drive into Neutral. She stopped and put it into drive and drove on. She's now noticed that when she puts in into drive normally, it will slide into Neutral without pushing the button, but when she puts it into 3, then into Drive, it won't slide into Neutral.

Is this normal ?? My 01 OBW has a totally different shifter and my 93 was a 5 MT.

If this isn't normal, has anyone had experienced this and what would, could be the fix.

THANKS !!

you can always shift between N-D (same with R-N, but have to press it to go from D - R) without pressing the button. Every car that was an automatic i have ever driven (i was born in 61) you dont need too. You also dont need the button upshifting from 1 to 2 2 to 3 3 to drive.

the car should not slide into Neutral by itself. The shifter mechanisim sounds like its broken. Whatever method is used to make internal resistance inside the shifter is not working (or she keeps hitting it with her hand).

nipper