Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Struts?

Typically just the inserts are replaced. When you mention the bottom being similar in mounting, I think you are referring to the strut housing. When you replace yours, that piece will be reused and only a new strut insert installed. I imagine there are strut inserts for other cars that would be useable. The two dimensions you'd want to match up would be the insert length and the diameter. That would probably get you going. Of course, that doesn't account for stroke or the thread pitch at the top of the insert. Those should be considered as well.

FYI... I frequently see strut inserts for sale on ebay. Stock was good enough for the factory engineers. ;)

Good luck.

swiftt is mostly right... MOST struts come with 'cartrages' that can be put into the strut housing...

however subaru didn't start using these until the ea81 series cars...

now i've never done work on that old of a car but i'd assume it'd be the same as my gen1 stage2 car...

i think you can upgrade to ea81 series struts which do have replaceable cartriges... they require slight modification to fit my car... i have no idea about yours... you'd have to experiment a bit... do a search in the historic forum and perhaps retrofiting forum for suspension upgrades and the like... a few people have done a few different things... but with ea81 struts you can use larger heavier duty springs... (like those from an RX)

however this will raise the car up slightly... up to you how you do it really... caboobaru has done some nice stuff aswell as renaissanceman... do some searches...

as far as finding factory style struts to pop in you're most likely outa luck besides stockers...

Good luck!:)

Hah!

Learn something new every day. That rocks!

The inserts I see on ebay must be for Gen2. That would make sense.

On the topic of struts, anyone know a source for the top strut mounts (rubber cones at the top of the strut) for a Gen1 Brat? Mine are beginning to show some cracks.

More of the reason I was asking was to see if maybe a coilover for another vehicle would work. Yes, the insert in the cartridge can be changed but is the mount on the bottom the same as some other newer car like say an 80's honda civic? The top is not too much a concern because that can be modified. The bottom attaches inside the steering knuckle and that cannot easily be modified.

Thanx for the suggestions:headbang: