Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wifes subaru has a set of 17" Rota wheels with 215/45 r/17 bridgestone potenza RE750 mounted. This is how we bought it.

The road noise is like a roar in this car on the crappy california roads. also the tires appear to be stretched to fit the width of the rim. This allows the rim to get curbed during my wifes parking manuvers.

I am looking at a set of Khumo asx 225/45R17 for the next set.

any one have similar problems or fixes?

Find out how wide the wheel is. It's stamped on there somewhere. Tire rack shows the range of wheel sizes for the ASX as being 7-8.5 with 7.5 as the optimum. So, I guess if you have 17x7.5s, go with 225. if they're 17x7, 215.

Generally, if the wheel is 7.5", you'd want a tread width of about 8.3 inches as wheel should be about 90% of the tread width. The ASX 215/45 tread is 8.4" wide, and the 225/45 is 8.7.

ASX spec sheet

The tread width varies between different tires with the same section, so you should check it out on tirerack or something before making a choice.

Also I hear the ASXs are pretty good tires. I was going to buy some but just got a whole set of slightly used wheels and tires instead.

Find out how wide the wheel is. It's stamped on there somewhere. Tire rack shows the range of wheel sizes for the ASX as being 7-8.5 with 7.5 as the optimum. So, I guess if you have 17x7.5s, go with 225. if they're 17x7, 215.

Generally, if the wheel is 7.5", you'd want a tread width of about 8.3 inches as wheel should be about 90% of the tread width. The ASX 215/45 tread is 8.4" wide, and the 225/45 is 8.7.

ASX spec sheet

The tread width varies between different tires with the same section, so you should check it out on tirerack or something before making a choice.

Also I hear the ASXs are pretty good tires. I was going to buy some but just got a whole set of slightly used wheels and tires instead.

thanks Jamal, I have run the ASX tires on my 87 gl10 for a few years now and love them. they seem to be the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I did manage to cause an internal tire seperation once but that was due to flying thru a washout at 55 mph. my fault not the tires.

I have not had time to check what the rim width is as its the wifes car and she is always on the move. I can tell just by looking at the fit that the tires are too narrow though. looks like some crazy euro style B.S.

I think I will get some ordered as soon as i save up some "spare" cash.

Ask the tirerack guys which tires on your short list have the rim-protector on them. It's just an extra thick piece of "meat" around the rim flange area. They actually do a lot to avoid most rim scrapes that happen in the parking lot. The ASX that I have (215/45R17) have a very small one, but my friend's Avons have a lot thicker sidewall. I think some Dunlop's (SP5000s in particular) have a really thick sidewall/rim protector band.

Ask the tirerack guys which tires on your short list have the rim-protector on them. It's just an extra thick piece of "meat" around the rim flange area. They actually do a lot to avoid most rim scrapes that happen in the parking lot. The ASX that I have (215/45R17) have a very small one, but my friend's Avons have a lot thicker sidewall. I think some Dunlop's (SP5000s in particular) have a really thick sidewall/rim protector band.

good point. the current tires have it too but due to the poor fit it pulls the "rim protector" in and lets the wife curb the wheels anyway.:eek:

tire rack recomends the 225s rather than the 215s I think the logic behind the 215s was if the car were to be lowered it would not rub. thats not an issue as we dont intened to lower it.