Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loud clickin all of a sudden

HATCHY

I was driving and all of a sudden a loud clicking... i took the caR BACK AND LIFTED OFF THE GROUND AND let the clutch oput no noise.. but the axel wont spinn freely.. my brake is stuck on will this cause a click ... do i need toi replace the master cylinder or just bleed them.. the cvs i beleive are in ok shape

Your brake is stuck on? Well that isn't good - not that subaru brakes are particularly strong, but you'll warp the rotor and wear the pads down to nothing quick. High speed might cause a fire. I've seen it happen on trailers. Might be the cause of the noise if you hit the iron pad backing plate. That usually makes a squeeling sound tho.

Does the clicking change with turning, or is it constant? Does it get faster with higher speed? You need to think logically and narrow your repair path based on some simple testing here. We can't guess at what it might be without a little more info.

GD

Sounds like either you have ill-fitting brake pads in the front - I've been sold the wrong ones for EA81's and they click. That sound will usually go away after 50 MPH or soo, and applying the brakes will stop it too of course.

Sounds like classis CV failure to me - have to start pulling thins apart to see.

GD

First thing, make sure you use a button called "Post Reply" when replying, not sometihng like New Thread.

Ok, so you get the sound when you are on the gas, when you come off the gas there is no (or little?) sound in the form of clicking??

Try this, drive the car. Make it make the clicking sound. While driving it with the gas at normal driving position, apply a bit of brakes, until you feel the car slowing down against the engine. If the sound goes away it sounds like your brakes. Probably the pads. If the sound persists, then it most likely is one of your CV joints. I have never heard brakes clicking, but I know CV's do it in a very clicky sounding way.

And yes CV joints can get to the point where they will click on a straight.

Let me ask, were you turning when it started to click? Did you hit the gas and then it started to click? Or were you just going along straight and it started to click?

Again, try to only post in the same Thread and please put questions like this in the right place, like Old Gen's section...