Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Give me input for a monster 360

SvRex

I picked up the shell of a '68 360 recently, and I'm looking for ideas. Before you get too upset, this one's really far gone. It's the body only. No interior, no motor, no drivetrain, not even a chassis (it's been cut off). Frankly, just a pile of scrap metal.

But I want to build a monster!:grin:

So, give me some ideas. My goal would be to build an incredibly fast autocrosser that can post respectable times on the dragstrip (12's or 13's), show up at Subie events, and perhaps even be returned to the street. I'd like to keep it as Subie as possible. I'm a major cheapskate.

Here's what I've got to work with: an '02 WRX rollover, many misc. SVX parts, a couple extra 2.0L motors, (and 3.3L), reasonable build skills, and a whole lot of time on my hands.

I first need a chassis/ configuration layout. For ease, I keep leaning toward mid-engine RWD. A VW chassis is easy to work with (after 25" is cut out of it:eek: ), but not too tunable for the autocross. A cut down Miata chassis would have plenty of after-market suspension stuff available. Of course, this would probably keep me away fromm the Subie events.

So I got to looking at the WRX chassis. I may be able to cut it down, keep the motor up front, and maybe even keep the AWD. I think the firewall would need to be moved so much that the driver would be sitting in the back seat, and the axles would be a major pain (2 u-joints). It would also be a bit rough to get the motor under the hoodline. A full cage, 2.0L motor, plus an inboard suspension would make for an incredibly wild ride (especially with it's 65" wheelbase.:eek: :eek: :eek: ), which should still be permissable at the Subie events.

Honestly, the 4 cylinder motor is a bit big. Any good Subie 2 cyliders? I got a good look at a Subaru built 2 seater go-kart recently. Gave me a lot of ideas (the dimensions were almost identical!)

But I'm not commited to anything. Give me some ideas. Crazy ones (but do-able)!;):banana: :banana:

I picked up the shell of a '68 360 recently, and I'm looking for ideas. Before you get too upset, this one's really far gone. It's the body only. No interior, no motor, no drivetrain, not even a chassis (it's been cut off). Frankly, just a pile of scrap metal.

So, give me some ideas. My goal would be to build an incredibly fast autocrosser that can post respectable times on the dragstrip (12's or 13's), show up at Subie events, and perhaps even be returned to the street. I'd like to keep it as Subie as possible. I'm a major cheapskate.

Here's what I've got to work with: an '02 WRX rollover, many misc. SVX parts, a couple extra 2.0L motors, (and 3.3L), reasonable build skills, and a whole lot of time on my hands.

I first need a chassis/ configuration layout. For ease, I keep leaning toward mid-engine RWD. A VW chassis is easy to work with (after 25" is cut out of it:eek: ), but not too tunable for the autocross. A cut down Miata chassis would have plenty of after-market suspension stuff available. Of course, this would probably keep me away fromm the Subie events.

So I got to looking at the WRX chassis. I may be able to cut it down, keep the motor up front, and maybe even keep the AWD. I think the firewall would need to be moved so much that the driver would be sitting in the back seat, and the axles would be a major pain (2 u-joints). It would also be a bit rough to get the motor under the hoodline. A full cage, 2.0L motor, plus an inboard suspension would make for an incredibly wild ride (especially with it's 65" wheelbase.:eek: :eek: :eek: ), which should still be permissable at the Subie events.

Honestly, the 4 cylinder motor is a bit big. Any good Subie 2 cyliders? I got a good look at a Subaru built 2 seater go-kart recently. Gave me a lot of ideas (the dimensions were almost identical!)

But I'm not commited to anything. Give me some ideas. Crazy ones (but do-able)!;):banana: :banana:

I know that Robin makes some twin engines and Subie makes the 660cc engine for the Sambar but they're kinda lacking on the power. What about putting a motorcycle engine in it?

I know that Robin makes some twin engines and Subie makes the 660cc engine for the Sambar but they're kinda lacking on the power. What about putting a motorcycle engine in it?

:lol:That's a riot:lol: I've got a Justy motor- wonder how big a turbo I could bolt to it!:confused::eek::eek:

The FWD legacy idea is kind of what I'm doing to a Justy.

I really like the motorcycle engine idea (the revs would be great!), but I don't think Subie builds any. That would probably keep me out of the Subaru meets.

Has Subie (or Fuji Heavy) ever built any motorcycle engines?? Preferably something a little bigger (like 750cc or so).

Turbo justys have been done, they make decent power and are lightweight, good for autox. you might even be able to squeeze the motor up front if you wanted to. as I said, in a 360 the onlt viable option for mid engine awd from subaru is the justy tranny. the larger ones are just too long after the axle line. just fashion a chain drive between the rear output shaft and a shaft routed to the front side of the engine and run a drive shaft from there to the front diff.

a justy isnt awd its 4wd. It would scrub like crazy on the street and handle all wacky. The 5spd fwd justy tranny is a nice compact little unit, it would fit in there no prob. It shifts with a single linkage sticking straight out the back behind the differential.

a justy isnt awd its 4wd. It would scrub like crazy on the street and handle all wacky. The 5spd fwd justy tranny is a nice compact little unit, it would fit in there no prob. It shifts with a single linkage sticking straight out the back behind the differential.

ok, after a little research i see that it is manually engaged. I stand corrected.

:lol:That's a riot:lol: I've got a Justy motor- wonder how big a turbo I could bolt to it!:confused::eek::eek:

The FWD legacy idea is kind of what I'm doing to a Justy.

I really like the motorcycle engine idea (the revs would be great!), but I don't think Subie builds any. That would probably keep me out of the Subaru meets.

Has Subie (or Fuji Heavy) ever built any motorcycle engines?? Preferably something a little bigger (like 750cc or so).

Just the Fuji Rabbits that I'm aware of. Might want to check out the 660cc that the sambar has. I think they sell a turbo version back in Japan so you might be able to come up with a cheap JDM used engine somewhere. I could send you my seized 57 Rabbit 4 stroke 250cc that's good for well 8hp.

A stock Subaru 360 sedan weighs 925 lbs. If you can keep the weight near this....it only takes like 125 hp to run a 10 second 1/4 mile.

A motorcycle engine would work to keep the weight down, I know a guy with a 600 Katana in his van. It is chained to a stock subie 360 DUMMY-crank, .....dual shifters, dual clutches, 24 forward gears and 6 reverse. Burns rubber wherever he goes, and sounds awesome.

PS. Mine weighs 1550 lbs but has 360hp. There is NO need for more power. I can't control what I've got

:brow:

• 2 weeks later...

ok, heres what you need. 2 'busa engines, put side by side and chained to eachohter, than run anther chain to a subie AWD auto tranny. now this is probibly the hardest part, swap the internal gears that transmit power to the front diff shaft from the main shaft (it is not a shaft in shaft like the manuals) for chains. than put the tranny in "backwards" and run power to the front. by swaping the gears for chains you reverse the rotation of the front diff, and thus make it into VW like setup, not the front ring and pinion arn't gonna like running backwards too much, but for an Auto-xer it should hold.

man, this is the kind of thing I dream about. you might as well be building a full chassis for this thing out of 1" square tube, round tube if you have the skill/tools.

1. fwd legacy trans in the rear converted to cable shift, add your bad rump roast EJ. build a double wishbone rear suspension using legacy rear knuckles. the top ball joint could have an adapter to the strut mount.

2. an R160 at each end, a 1000cc shaft drive bike motor at each end. 5 lug knuckles with double wishbone suspension and motorcycle shocks.

figure some way to reverse the motorcycle trans output on the front drivetrain.

3. two chain drive bike motors in the rear, each driving one wheel. rear suspension would be two swingarms using some sort of knuckle from a rwd car, with a chain drive and sprocket adapted to the hub of said rwd front knuckle. one side would require a jack shaft to get the drive of the bike trans close enought to the hub. OPTIONAL: a turbo system using one turbo for both motors, making it in effect a straight 8, sequential 6sp, turbocharged, mid engine, economy car subaru.

4. R1 motor/trans with the output hooked directly to an R160, mounted with narrowed legacy axles and custom double wishbone with legacy rear knuckles.

5. some other badass fwd drivetrain in the rear. VW 1.8t, pontiac grand prix, taurus SHO, etc.

I would do #2. it would be one of the more difficult of my ideas but the awd would be so cool

FWIW, these make perfect sense in my head.:grin: