Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My turn to post a thread :)

My 1997 OBW automatic 2.5L 182K on the car. Today i stomped on the gas from a dead stop.... and nothing. This happened for less then a second, but still it was very disturbing. I've noticed it do this on highway on ramps, and at traffic lights. If the car is moving, stomp on it, and it goes. No check engine light. Any ideas?

nipper

i'm not allowed to play with cars, technically i cant even open my own hood (anyone have any idea the looks you get when you ask a service station in ny to open your hood for you :eek: ) for at least another 6 months.

i'm just looking for ideas on where to point people. When i drive it later im going to see if there is a delay on the fly too.

The one time i want the cilly CEL to come on :)

nipper

Well, I only suggest the fuel pump because the symptoms you describe are nearly identical to those I saw on our Chrysler. It took me a couple of weeks to figure it out. As it turns out, the pump needs to be able to compensate for the huge change in flow rate from idle flow to wide open throttle, and as it wears out it can't deliver the fuel volume to compensate for the change in flow without taking a fairly long time to recover. It isn't so obvious when you accelerate from higher RPMs, because the instantaneous change in flow rate isn't as high.

I know it sounds odd, but check your throttle cable. This sounds a bit reminiscent of the prob. I had when I first purchased my SUS. Super easy to adjust. Even easier with two people to make sure you're not over-stressing the cable, but getting full advance. GL.

yay so far two things i can do myself that doesnt violate the no twsiting bending lifting rule.. now i just need someone to open my hood for me, thats so pathetic :)

nipper

I forgot that you had back surgery dude. How are you doing??? Do you have to get out bed sorta like this??? :burnout:

LOL. JK.

I forgot that you had back surgery dude. How are you doing??? Do you have to get out bed sorta like this??? :burnout:

LOL. JK.

hehehe actually i do :) . Looks like im grounded for the rest of the year, as there is motor nerve damage, May mean i can never drive a clutch for a long time, but once my back heals i can ride a bike. and bycycle, which would give me an outlet. i SOOOO want to go work on my car again, i cant even replace my speakers myself. i've been getting really depressed so forgive me if i get a little short at times. Anyone on LI have an SVX to see if i can actually get in and out of one without resorting too :burnout: ANyone in the oceanside NY area? i SWEAR i can smell gear oil but i cant find the leak. i just want to know if im nuts or not.

well more nuts then i was.

nipper

hehehe actually i do :) . Looks like im grounded for the rest of the year, as there is motor nerve damage, May mean i can never drive a clutch for a long time, but once my back heals i can ride a bike. and bycycle, which would give me an outlet. i SOOOO want to go work on my car again, i cant even replace my speakers myself. i've been getting really depressed so forgive me if i get a little short at times. Anyone on LI have an SVX to see if i can actually get in and out of one without resorting too :burnout: ANyone in the oceanside NY area? i SWEAR i can smell gear oil but i cant find the leak. i just want to know if im nuts or not.

well more nuts then i was.

nipper

Investigate getting a recumbent bike. I recommend Rans or maybe CycleGenius or Sun or a used Bike E (what I have). No strain on hands, forearms shoulders etc. can't go over the handle bars and break a wrist shoulder or neck. You can breathe better too.

I was also wondering if a 'dead spot' on the TPS could maybe cause your symptoms. If you - um - 3/4 'stomp on it' does it behave the same? Seems like the ECU can't get fuel through the injectors - yeah maybe fuel delivery?

good luck and feel better soon

Carl

Hey, My 96 2.5 4EAT does the same thing... I think. I've never floored it in gear, but when I did a motor swap I noticed the same thing when revving the car in park. Floor it, and it just kind of dies for a second, then I get a nice loud knock from the bottom end, and away it revs. If I just go nicely there is no problem. I'm not driving that right now because of the oil burning, but maybe I can look at these same things listed.

Keith

OK my car does it only from a dead stop, on the fly it drives normally.

nipper

Seems to me the 2 (only?) things that are different between being at a dead stop and cruising would be the IAC and the TPS. I assume when you say 'nothing' happens that the engine.s revs are extremely slow to respond - not that the revs move up as expected and the tranny doesn't respond!

I dunno

Carl

it's an agonizing 1/2 second where nothing happens, the car doesnt even feel like its rolling forward. this is prbbly the one thing held over from my major car accident which im still revovering. When i saw the car behind comin up on me at 50mph, i stood on the gas pedal, the 98 legacy took off, and the 5-10 mph difference is why i can still walk. Now if the same thing happened with this car, well, il'd rather not think about it. Thats why it bothers me.

nipper

it's an agonizing 1/2 second where nothing happens, the car doesnt even feel like its rolling forward. this is prbbly the one thing held over from my major car accident which im still revovering. When i saw the car behind comin up on me at 50mph, i stood on the gas pedal, the 98 legacy took off, and the 5-10 mph difference is why i can still walk. Now if the same thing happened with this car, well, il'd rather not think about it. Thats why it bothers me.

nipper

My gtp used to do the same exact thing. I assumed it was a cloged fuel filter. The day I sold it the kid called me on his way home to MI and said that it died. The fuel pump fuse ended up blowing, then it happened to him again a week later. Dunno why this was happening to him but thats all i can tell you from my past experiences.

Nipper, I still think that it's fuel starvation, either because something's clogged up (filter) or again based on my experience, that the pump just can't push enough volume to make up for opening those injectors from a dead stop idle. I could be wrong... but it would be the first thing I'd check. Let us know what you eventually find out -- or what whoever actually works on it finds out. And best wishes that you make a full recovery as quick as possible. I can't imagine not being able to work on my own vehicles -- it just isn't right!

:)

Hey, Nipper! You ever figure out what was going on with this one? Inquiring minds want to know....

Your going to have to wait till next month, when i am due for my next oil change:) . i have to let my mechanic look at it. The add insult to injury thing is is the driver sid healight os out now. i think the last time i did changed that i moved the battery to make life easier. i don't think thats happening this time around.

nipper

My turn to post a thread :)

My 1997 OBW automatic 2.5L 182K on the car. Today i stomped on the gas from a dead stop.... and nothing. This happened for less then a second, but still it was very disturbing. I've noticed it do this on highway on ramps, and at traffic lights. If the car is moving, stomp on it, and it goes. No check engine light. Any ideas?

nipper

water or an obstruction coming in contact with the MAF?